Nile Cruise Boats

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nile Cruise Boats

Hi,
We are soon to tour Egypt and hope to visit all the major attractions. Most organized tours include a cruise on the Nile. Can anyone tell me more about the boats used by Egypt Highlights tour group? What cruise line is used? What are the rooms like (showers/bathroom facilities, food, room security, beds, general atmosphere for sleeping)? We sure do appreciate any feedback you can offer and look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks and Happy Traveling
TimTim
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:34 AM

My wife and I recently returned from Egypt. This trip included a cruise on the Nile from Luxor upstream to Aswan. We found our boat to be like a floating hotel, excellent food and service, spotlessly clean, air-conditioned. Our cabin was spacious, kept very clean, with full bath (tub and shower), plenty of hot water, and extremely comfortable. We hardly knew we were moving once the boat got underway. We were told that almost 400 cruise boats -- some almost the size of a city block -- ply the Nile. To us, it provided a way to see riverside life like none other we could imagine. The boat had its own security police who were ever-present but unobtrusive. We did not travel with Egypt Highlights, but with with Overseas Adventure Travel on the "River Hathor," one of the smaller boats. Would we go again? Absolutely.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcomed information USNR. I am glad to hear that the security can be relied on and that the rooms are well kept. You mentiond the food was good. Has anyone experienced stomach problems from the cruise food? Did the boat travel to the next destination at night? Any other feedback is welcome and once again, many thanks.
Tim
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Fully agree with USNR.
No, we didn't experience stomach problems from the food. We did use common sense, that's it. No uncooked veggies/unpealed fruits and only bottled water (without ice). Moreover, 'Pharao's revenge' is not only due to the food but also to the enormous difference in temperature your body has to undergo. It can easily become 40-45°C in July. Drinking ice-cold drinks at that time (and you should take a lot of fluids!) is asking for problems.
Our ship did not travel at night. One morning it left very early because we had to go through the Esna lock and delays were expected because of the low the water and the large amount of traffic on the Nile.
I would advise you to book a small Nile cruiser. Ours had only 35 cabins and the service was outstanding.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Question for USNR: I assume you were on the 15 day OAT trip. Is the top level worth the extra $?? Also, we are debating the extra 4th night on the boat, which would mean we would miss the light show in Luxor. I would welcome any comments you might have on that. Good to hear OAT getting such high marks; it looks like a outstanding trip. Did you do Alexandria, also? Thanks in advance. gamorris