Safari Time

Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari Time

We are planning a safari with Overseas Adventure Travel going to Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. We have 2 blocks of time available--Nov/Dec 2006 or Sept/Oct 2007. Is there any disadvantage to making this trip in Nov/Dec? Thanks for any info.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Nov/Dec would be in the rainy season (at least late Nov.) September would be better for game viewing, but it can get really hot in October.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
sandi

Nov/Dec is going to be wet, very hot and humid. Go for Sept/Oct, though going into warmer weather at least it should be drier.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Mitchb,

I will cast a dissenting vote for Nov/Dec. Pricing may be half as much, if you do it through the appropriate tour operator.

Pricing is excellent for these properties in Nov/Dec, and would make for a great itinerary:

www.islandsinafrica.com
www.kwando.co.za

I would further encourage you to consider doing a custom tailor-made itinerary rather than going as part of a large group. This will enable more intimate properties, a more private safari and, more than likely, better pricing.

Admittedly, I am recommending properties I have not yet visited, but I will be doing an educational/familiarization trip to both Kwando and Islands In Africa in late November/early December. I have heard nothing but good things about both companies.

Personally, I think landscapes play a very important role in a quality safari, so I would just as soon accept fewer animals in a nicer, greener, landscape, than see hordes of animals in dry, dusty and often sufferable conditions, especially when the price is half as much.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
sandi

Rocco -

You make some good points as it is low season with favorable pricing, but the OAT tour doesn't have that many participants, especially on their African itineraries. Besides, they also include the airfare which is a pretty good deal.

mitch is just going to have to decide whether he wishes to go it on his own, which weather he prefers; but OAT is a good deal for those looking for small group tours.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM

Sandi,

I guess that all depends on a person's interpretation of a small group. There were about a dozen OAT guests at Mbuzi Mawe during my visit. This number is greater than some of the more exclusive camps in Botswana, such as Baines Camp, and would also be more than Ntwala Island Camp would hold.

I would guess that OAT would need to focus on lodges/camps with a minimum of 20 beds, just to be safe, but I have not yet researched their itineraries.

As far as the airfare goes, I have rarely seen included airfare for less than it may be found on its own, except on dirt cheap Asian tours where the tour company gets a kickback/commission from the shopping excursions.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
africnow

Roccco you have made me very interested. Can you explain a bit more, or possibly refer me to sites that will show how a private tour can be less expensive than a group tour?

Or did you mean something else by: "better pricing"?

Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM

Rocco,

For people who can't afford $8,000 - $10,000 for a southern Africa trip, OAT is a reasonable alternative. I've done their Tanzania trip, but didn't like their southern Africa itinerary and chose to go on my own, as I had before. They get REALLY good deals on their airfare, as evidenced by their prices. You should take a look at their website to get an idea of their prices and itineraries.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info about traveling in Nov/Dec. I hadn't thought about the fact that the scenery would be much more attractive during the low season--and the idea of lower prices certainly is attractive. Has anyone actually been on safari during that time?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
santharamhari

For Botswana, if you are looking for Nov/December. Try and go as early in November as possible for best gameviewing opportunities

Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM

I'd go Sept/Oct, sure it'll be dry and hot but the rain could curtail some activities. I've been in October and March (Emerald Season) and personally prefer October. The OAT tour could have up to 10-16 people, which is a lot squeezed into 2-3 rovers? Look into what Rocco says about custom itinerary, it could be close enough in price to justify a little extra to have a more private safari.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Just an example...

For about $300 per person per day in December, a safari to Islands In Africa lodges and Kwando's camps.

An itinerary of Ntwala Island (2), Susuwe Island (2), Lagoon (2)(a short boat transfer away from Susuwe but in Botswana instead of Namibia), Lebala (2)(18 miles? away from Lagoon), Kwara (4) would be about $3,500 per person plus air transfers and international air.

I would like to know if there are any properties as exclusive as Susuwe and Ntwala in OAT's packages. Unfortunately, the Islands In Africa website does not do these properties justice, at least not compared to their beautiful glossy brochures.

Another good thing about Nov/Dec is that there should be far fewer people. In looking at the availability that Kwando has sent me for use in doing my educational/familiarization trip, Sept/Oct are booked solid, early November has very few openings but late November - before Christmas, the camps are wide open. Having visited camps/lodges that are 100% booked and having visited others where I am the only one, it is no competition...who would not want to be the only one in camp or maybe only have one or two other couples?
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
africnow

Hi Roccco,

Thanks for the breakdown. Seems that for a solo traveller, joining a group of some kind - and there are many, many kinds - is still the best answer from the financial aspect.

Old May 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Africnow,

OAT does have attractive looking pricing, but it is apples and oranges when comparing the different lodges.

For my own safaris, I prefer the camps/lodges I visit to be a maximum of about 16. This is not always possible, but it does make a difference in the overall experience.

However, some people prefer group travel, and I would agree that OAT looks like a solid and competively priced option for group travel.

At the end of the day, however, I do believe that most people doing a private tailor-made itinerary at smaller lodges/camps are going to experience a better safari.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Some very strong opinions on the board. Mitchb, you need to decide what your priorities are and what will make you happy.

Roccco: Satisfaction and good/better safari experience is highly individual and certainly not one-size-fits-all. I'd argue that's why there are private tours and so many variations to group type tours. There are benefits both ways, and OAT has some good itineraries for experiences and overall value. Sure there are many other operators this is true for as well.

One piece of advice for those new to planning a safari, while the general consensus is private is best, it takes time, diligence and attention to details in working out a private safari. While the operator/tour company manages the logistics / camps/ travel in country, there is a lot to attend to in planning the details, working with an operator, finalizing the package/deal, and I will assume managing potential "issues" down the road. Simply selecting a tour group with defined itinerary that is agreeable should greatly lessen this burden.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:32 AM
africnow

Okay, just to clear the air... I always travel budget, I always travel solo.

When I realized that for a safari a group of some kind would be necessary I found a local safari org that takes a maximum of 12 people in 3 vehicles,(4WD Landrovers and Toyota Landcruisers converted for safari and game viewing with pop-up roofs)on set dates.

So what I meant was as a solo traveller requiring a *small* group for the purpose of safari (e.g. land) only. Now then, as to my previous question:
Is it possible for a solo traveller to make a *budget* safari in the off season that costs less than a small group safari?

Since this year's trip (Kenya & Tz.) is already fixed, I am thinking in terms of Botswana in the future, with a major emphasis on seeing the dogs - which have enthralled me since I began reading this forum

Thanks!