Safari suggestions

Jan 4th, 2002, 08:03 PM
joe

Safari suggestions

My wife and I are interested in a camping safari to include Botswana and possibly a few days in Namibia. We are quite overwhelmed with all the companies on the internet as well as the middlemen that all seem to be selling the same few safaris for the larger companies. Can anyone recommend a safari operator to these areas? We are looking for a camping safari, 10 or fewer people, and we are willing to do some camp chores if necessary.

Jan 5th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Celia

Look at Karibu Safaris. We went to Botswana with them a number of years ago and found the experience to be unforgettable. We were in a group of about 10 people; we pitched our own tents each evening; each person had to help cook twice during the 10-day safari. There were two leaders and two camp assistants who helped us with the tents if we needed it, and set up the outdoor shower and that sort of thing.

They are based in South Africa. They have a web site which I can't remember right now; a search engine will find them.

Jan 7th, 2002, 03:30 PM
pam

Joe,

My husband and I are traveling to Africa next month. We planned our safari with Africa Adventure Company. They came HIGHLY recommended by a couple of our friends who either have lived in or Africa visit Africa a lot.

The owner, Nick Nolting, has traveled extensively throughout Africa and has written a couple of books about the country. One book in particular, a safari journal, is very helpful. It contains maps, game illustrations and descriptions, tips, etc. etc.

All this to say, he is a very knowledgeable fellow, along with his staff. We have received outstanding and prompt service from them.

They have set itineraries or custom. We had a custom itinerary done:

Days 1-4
Cape Town at the Cape Grace
Day 5
Tour of the winelands and overnight at the Grande Roche in Paarl.
Days 6-7
Fly to Singita Private Game Reserve for two nights.
Days 8-9
Transfer to Londolozi Private Game reserve for two nights.
Day 10
Overnight in Pretoria
Days 11-12
Rovos Rail from Pretoria to Victoria Falls.
Day 13-14
Victoria Falls Hotel with half day elephant safari and evening Zambezi cruise.

His website is http://www.africa-adventure.com/index01.html.

Good luck,

Pam

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Deb

Pam, I am intrigued with your intinerary because I just saw Singita rated a perfect 100 in Conde Nast. It looks like an amazing place but probably more than I am willing to spend. I am just starting to research my trip so I would love to see a trip report when you return.

Jan 9th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Lynda

Last year two friends and I did a wonderful camping safari through Drifters, located in Johannesburg. I researched just about every company in Southern Africa, and found Drifters to be the most inexpensive. We also went to Namibia, where we used a company called Chameleon, which was great. Drifters e-mail address is [email protected] Their web site is drifters.com Chameleon has two webs sites: chameleonsafaris.com and chameleonbackpackers.com Their e-mail address is [email protected]
If you'd like more infomation, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Lynda Howland

Jan 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
kavey

We went to Namibia and Botswana in June 2001 with Wilderness Safaris. Booked through Sunvil in the UK.
We loved it and thought they were exceptional!
Kavey

Jan 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Maureen

Try Global Adventures, owner Mike McPike located in Colorado. Mike specializes in Botswana, Nambia, Zambia, etc. His trips are in small camps of 5-10 people and has travelled extensively. I highly recommend him for your travel needs to Africa. He can be found on the web.

Search this Thread