Safari- South Africa vs. East Africa

Jul 4th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Safari- South Africa vs. East Africa

For a few different reasons we are re-considering our Kenya Safari (2 days-Shaba
1-LAKE NAKURU, 3 days-MAASAI MARA) and thinking of changing in to a South Africa package which includes 3 days Kruger and 3 days Capetown.
A couple concerns that we have had
1) Do you think we will see enough in Kenya (different landscapes, scenery, etc.) It seems like the South Africa package would inlcude more diversity?
2) Both start and end in a city Nairobi and Johannesburg...I haven't heard glowing things about either but is one better to visit than another?
3) Capetown sounds beautiful...but we have seen our share of beautiful beaches, seaports...is it worth missing a few days safari for?
4) Safety Concerns- I have already posted about my safety concerns in regards to Kenya...I don't see any warnings for South Africa-is it considered much safer?
Please provide me with an opinions or information you can. We have already booked the Kenya trip but have a limited amount of time to change it. Oh-we will be traveling mid-march if this makes a difference.

Jul 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Megtr,
i hope this doesn't sound facetious, but the biggest risks associated with your trip are that you will be spending an inordinate amount of travel time to get to a holiday that seems to include only 6 days/nights in Africa. Personally, I would never arrange a vacation like this, because it includes a very high cost in airfare/travels time when allocated on a per night basis in the actual destination.

On that basis, I don't think you will see enough in either country. Capetown is gloriously beautiful, but it is not a safari destination. Both countries have high crime rates, and much of the crime is oriented toward rich white foreigners. HOWEVER in most cases, it is the negligent or clueless travellers who take their safety for granted who have trouble. You have shown every evidence of being super-careful (paranoid?) about your safety...So actually, I think you will be as safe as anyone can be in this type of destination. Please don't take this wrong--my own philosophy is to be informed, be really paranoid at one level (eg take cabs when appropriate...and have the hotel arrange them)...then just relax and enjoy things. If that sounds crazy...well it is possible.
Jul 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

I agree. I may be off on some of the days. It is a 9-day trip either way. Which with 2 days of travel, really leaves us with only 7 days. We have a limited budget and really this is all we can take time-wise away from work. Basically, we are trying to decide which location would give us the best "overview" and cram as much as we can in a short amount of time.
Jul 4th, 2005, 01:14 PM
sandi

Regardless which destination you choose, I recommend you keep all your questions under the same thread. It'll be easier for you to find and others to respond and follow your plans as they come together.

If going for only a 7-days in-country trip... hands down Kenya; especially if to SA you spend 3-days in Cape Town. Don't get me wrong, Cape Town is a "keeper" and one of the most beautiful cities to visit, but why go to Africa, if safari is what you're looking for, and spend half your time in a city.

You have every reason to question travel warnings, but I believe the responses in your other thread fairly clarify these. And considering the number of visitors who continue to arrive in East Africa and enjoy their time and safaris with no danger to their safety... I'd continue with your Kenya plans.

As to scenery/landscapes - the three destinations in Kenya will afford you three different environments, landscapes and game viewing experiences.

Search this Thread