Safari Recommendations?

Dec 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Safari Recommendations?

My husband and I are interested in doing a safari in the next couple of years. We are both in our late 20s, no kids. Any recommendations on tour operators? Also, we have no idea on how to decide btw. Kenya vs. Botswana vs. S. Africa, etc. Input greatly appreciated!
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I would not worry about tour operators yet! Narrow down the countries first - then go with a local operator of that country.

To help you, you need to tell us a bit more.

What do you want your experience to be? Do you have a vision of open
plains with thousands of animals milling around - under the
opportunistic eyes of hyena, lion, fox, cheetah and leopard? In this experience it is almost a guarantee that you will see all of the above and more, including hippo, crocodile,
elephant and even rhino in some areas.

Or are you thinking of searching for wildlife in a bush environment, not sure what you will see? You may spend 3 days with bad luck - but when you get a good sighting it is very satisfying as you worked hard for it!

In a nutshell, that is the main difference between Southern African
wildlife viewing and the open plains areas of East Africa.

Dec 28th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

I would like to see animals running through the plains, although my husband says he would like a little of both experiences. We would also like to stay someplace that at least has electricity, and bathroom with plumbing.
Dec 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM
sandi

In East Africa you can have open plains as at the Masai Mara in Kenya or Serengeti in Tanzania, or go searching for game in other areas, such as Samburu (Kenya) or Tarangire (Tanzania). A bit of everything. It's a matter of deciding when you wish to travel, for how long, type of accommodations and your budget. Hotels in major cities have all the facilties you can want. When out on safari, lodges have flush toilets and electricity. Most all permanent tented camps have flushed toilets, and electricity (though some electricity isnt always available 24-hrs.); other tent camps have lamps for light, no electric, except at the reception area. Mobile and semi-permanent tent camps often (but not all) have separate loos, and mostly lite by lamps; and adventure camping is just that "an adventure."

I would suggest you stop by the library or a book store and check-out or read thru some guidebooks, maybe even buy one or two for a better understanding of the various areas (National Parks/Reserves) in East Africa, what's to see, how safaris are conducted, whether you travel by road or choose flights between destinations, various types of accommodations. From reading up you can define what you'd like your safari to consist of. Then come back here and we can offer suggestions/comments and even names of in-country tour operators who can pull it all together for you.

Search this Thread