Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safari Pics Tanzania May 2011 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safari-pics-tanzania-may-2011-a-895626/)

rsnyder Jun 20th, 2011 03:46 AM

Safari Pics Tanzania May 2011

Culled, sorted, captioned and now ready for viewing. Hope you enjoy. Welcome comments particularly as to id expecially for a couple of birds

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/..._-Sharee-_-Top

Dick

tinydancer Jun 20th, 2011 05:17 AM

Wonderful photos, you saw so many varieties of birds! Thanks for sharing. It looks like you both had a great safari.

cary999 Jun 20th, 2011 11:16 AM

To view them you have to either "sign in" or "join". No thanks.

regards - tom

atravelynn Jun 20th, 2011 01:02 PM

Since I'm a Kodak Gallery user anyway, it is easy for me to sign in.

Rsnyder, if you send the gallery to yourself again and make sure the box is properly checked (or unchecked) for signing in to view, then just clicking on the link will work.

I was up to my fav bird, the hoopoe and then advanced to the dung beetle.

rsnyder Jun 20th, 2011 03:44 PM

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/..._-Sharee-_-Top

Thanks Lynn. Resent it to myself buy unchecked the "sign in required" box. Okay now Tom.

Otis72 Jun 20th, 2011 04:22 PM

Tom - Your bird sightings are over the top, stupendous. We thought we have done well over several trips, but nothing like what you did. Wonderful photos. Jim.

cary999 Jun 20th, 2011 11:53 PM

Dick - Kodak working good for me now, thanks. Lot of nice photos. I will return to see more, nice reminder of my Tanzania safari Feb 2011.
Otis72 - you talking to me?? Not sure how my bird photos got involved here but thanks if you were. And you're still right if you weren't !! :) :)

regards - tom

Otis72 Jun 21st, 2011 03:11 AM

I had a long day yesterday and was enthralled by Dick's photos. Lost track of names and mis-addressed my note to Dick, sorry. If someone named Harry shows up in this thread, I'll be totally lost! Jim.

Cateyes555 Jun 21st, 2011 04:28 AM

Dick - you have some nice photos there - clearly you are a birder! I loved my trip to Tanzania about 1 year ago, and you visited some of the same places I did. My favorite photos are the bat, the bat eared fox, and the frogs in the toilet - too funny :-)

atravelynn Jun 21st, 2011 06:21 PM

You have the photo content for your own bird book. Especially liked the Silvery Cheeked Hornbill. Funny localized shower over the ele. I was going to ask if you performed a frog rescue based on Cateyes555 but it looked like the frog lived there.

Was there any comment by your guide on the blond wildebeest? Did it look like it was having more fun? Never saw that.

You had your own Duba Plains action with the buffalo chasing the lions at the crater.

What a great trip!

walrus Jun 24th, 2011 05:00 AM

Very good collection of birds, Dick
I like the third picture (nr 119?) of the silvery-cheeked hornbill.
The leopards' cub was well killed by a lion. Some people at the Serengeti Serena were there when it happened.
Excellent photographic reporting. It very well shows that Africa is a lot, lot more than big five and migration.

Cheers
Mike

rsnyder Jun 24th, 2011 03:51 PM

Lynn, yes, the frogs (and geckos) lived there. Would climb back up the side of the bowl and then under the rim where I gather it was moist and also somewhat dark.

Thanks Mike and others for the compliments. Looking at birds, bugs and the like filled in time and space when mammals were not present.
Dick

Leely2 Jun 24th, 2011 06:02 PM

I am enjoying these (not done yet). Love the rainbows over Tarangire. Incredible birds and elephants. Impressive composition in many of these. Really great, and you and your wife appear to be enjoying yourselves immensely. It's always nice to get a peek at the happy safari-goers.

Perhaps I'll go back to Tanzania. May is interesting to me.

Do you think you'd like to return to the southern parks again?

rsnyder Jun 25th, 2011 03:42 AM

Leely2, so many places from which to choose. Had a great time in Costa Rica last fall, may want to take in northern areas (Arenal) and even the coast. Or, even a return to Tanzania maybe Zanzibar. Never thought I would have an interest there but heard of interesting birding in the J. Forest. But, as you asked, southern Tanzania also has appeal but maybe later in the season particularly Ruaha when the river becomes more important. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Regardless, work at our part time jobs for the vacation fund. Maybe a combination mission and safari trip.Thanks for the nice words about the pics.

atravelynn Jun 25th, 2011 06:39 AM

Oh yes, those rainbows. Tell me about the lesser kudu that you photographed and any other that you saw. Same for cheetahs. Was the Tarangire cheetah one that was released there not long ago?

cjryan Jun 25th, 2011 09:25 AM

Thank you for sharing your photos. Wow! The birds are amazing. I did see some of the same when I was there and I'm sure I would have seen more but I think my guide got the idea that I just wanted to see cats and didn't care about birds...probably because I kept saying, "Cats! Cats! Cats!" But I do enjoy the birds as well!

rsnyder Jun 25th, 2011 04:34 PM

lynn, the young lesser kudu we saw was in Mkomazi NP during a long game drive to the area of the facility working with rhino and wild dog. It was the only one we saw and only briefly at that. Came around a bend in the road and there she was. Time only for one photo. My experience with kudu has been that they are somewhat shy to begin with.

The cheetah we spotted in Tarangire NP was indeed one of the three that had been confiscated from a poacher/middle person involved in illegal trafficing. Two were released in Tarangire after being fitted with radio transmitters. The third one according to our guide was still in rehabit having experienced injury to feet due to mesh wire of cage bottoms.

We saw a mother cheetah in the Ndutu Marsh one afternoon and the next morning. She had two cubs with her and was situated in the middle of the green grass marsh.

atravelynn Jun 25th, 2011 04:41 PM

Thanks Rsnyder!

sallysaab Jun 27th, 2011 04:31 PM

Dick just looked through them again, and apart from making me want to pack a bag immediately, they are even better the 2nd time round, the birds are fabulous!
Thank you.

Femi Jun 28th, 2011 05:14 PM

The variety of birds is astounding.