Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

include African safari part of our egypt trip..?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 04:26 PM
gac1yahoo

We are planning to go to Egypt for 7-10 days in Feb. with 2 kids. Since we are going that far close to Africa, is it advisable to include 3-5 days, african safari part of it. (we're travelling from North West US..so air ticket is big chunk of money)

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I have never been on a safari - so I can not comment on that part of it. We spent 10 days in Egypt 3 years ago with kids - ages 12 and 15. It was an incredible trip BUT we were ready to head home after it was over. Heat, different culture, early AM touring, etc. got to be exhausting. (I could have spent much more time there, though).

Can understand air travel realities - both in time and cost - but I fear you may risk tarnishing an incredibly memorable trip by trying to do too much and by shifting focus from ancient Egypt to safari.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:21 AM

Just read your other post - with kids ages 8 and 10, I double my opinion from above.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Kenya is the closest major safari destination to Egypt, and you could fly from Cairo to Nairobi and visit the Masai Mara. You may want to contact an operator in Kenya (Roy's Safaris gets positive recommendations on this site) and see what they can suggest. Depending on your time of arrival in Nairobi, you may be able to fly that day to the Masai Mara and spend a few days there -- its one of the very best parks in Africa.

Its a lot more relaxing than daily sightseeing and would be a great way to end a trip to Africa. A lodge like Serena, with a pool and other facilities, may be for children than one of the smaller, more exclusive lodges.

Michael
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM

You may be surprised but there is no easy/direct way to get from Cairo to any safari destination. I agree 100%with Gail.

Stay longer in Egypt, go swiming, snorkeling, diving. There is more to Egypt than you ever imagined. Go to a resort near Alexandria. There are so many options in Egypt. Have a great trip
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Depending on your date of travel, there are direct flights between Cairo and Nairobi on Egyptair and Kenya Air, and on other dates, there is one-stop service via Addis, so its not difficult to get from Egypt to a safari in Kenya.

Michael
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't been to Egypt yet so I can't give firsthand knowledge. I have been on 3 safaris ranging from 8 days to 18 days. I would encourage you to try to add a safari to your trip since you are "almost there".

Listen to thit-cho (Michael). He is giving you good advice.

I want to take my two kids to Egypt and also on a safari. I may just have to plan a trip like yours and see both places for a much cheaper price.

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Ag3046

No, not at all reasonable to attempt to do a 3-5 days safari from Egypt. It takes at least a day to arrive, and get to your camp, each way, so it would be a miserably short experience that would be very expensive for what you would get. And especially with kids. I think you should spend more time enjoying Egypt and the Red Sea.

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM
gac1yahoo

Thank you all for your advise. I decided just to do Egypt..

Is the last week of Feb. good time to go..?

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 04:57 AM
z

Last week of February is a great time to visit Egypt. As to safari in Kenya, IMHO, you made a right decission. There may be direct flights to Nairobi but these airlines do not fly every day. Most important, the end of February is already rainy season in Kenya. After you return from Egypt start saving and planning your safari. It took us three years to plan our perfect safari.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:03 AM
sandi

FYI - The rainy seasons in East Africa are - Long Rains in April & May; Short Rains in November. The weather is lovely in February and most of March.

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
z

Sandi, our last safari to Kenya took place February 17th March 10th. In all our camps and lodges we been told and read this is a rainy season. We had rain every night and during three days. Because of heavy rains we were not able to get to every place our guide planned to take us. I am speaking from my personal experience. From what I recall you went on safari only once and it was in October.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM
sandi

Excuse me z but I've been on safari more times then once, or twice or three time, or...... both East and Southern and never in October. In fact most of my safaris have taken place end-November/begin-December so I know from rain - the short rains. I certainly cannot say that it won't rain at any time... it's weather! - but if you read the weather stats for East Africa, February and March are not considered the rainy season. Hey, even this year the short rains started in October. And then there have been years when there were no long rains at all. Granted the long rains can start early, but it's rare that folks won't book February or March because of rain - April and May, yes. In fact, February (and early-March) is usually a very busy period because of the Wildebeest calving season in the S.E. Serengeti. It's weather, and like animals - never any guarantees.