Safari in Tanzania

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari in Tanzania

My daughter and I are planning a safari in Tanzania in early January and are about ready to finalize our operator. My travel agent has used Zara tours for Kili climbs and recommended we go with them or with Journeys International. Zara is quite a bit cheaper and both seem to have about the same trip. It'll be individual because they don't have tours for our dates. Anyone have opinions about these?

We also want to go to Zanzibar. Is it reasonable to go there without a tour? The tours seem pricey for such a short trip. We like nice accommodations, but don't need top of the line luxury. My daughter will want to dive there and we'll both want to tour the island.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
sandi

You don't necessarily require "a tour" as Zanzibar is just a pre- or post-safari option. You'll fly from Kili or Arusha to ZNZ and fly from here back to the airport of departure for your homebound flight. It's a good idea to have someone meet you at the airport and get you to your hotel; and pick you up and return you to the airport for your connecting flight home.

Any reputable outfitter handling your Tanzania mainland trip should have an outfitter on Zanzibar to take care of this for you.

You need only choose a hotel to stay and that's it. Any activities at your hotel will be charged to you. If you want to take in tours while here, you can arrange these through your hotel or with the outfitter who handles your transfers. Should be a no-brainer.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi.
I thought we should be able to do it independently. We have been looking at 2 outfits for our safari-Zara and Journeys International. Zara primarily does Kili climbs but now does the safaris, too. They are quite a bit cheaper than Journeys and allow more flexibility: we can mix our accommodations from standard, tented camps. However, they don't seem to know much about add on trips.

Suggestions for hotels in Zanzibar? As I said, we want nice, but don't need luxurious. This is part of a "round the world" trip and we need to watch costs some.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM

marathon2,

I don't know if you are a marathon runner, but given your name, I thought I would ask.

In case you are interested, there is a marathon in late February...the Kiliminjaro Marathon on Feb 26th. It is run through the foothills of Kiliminjaro and there is a half marathon option as well. I will likely be doing the half marathon option and have planned my dates with this in mind. Just thought it worth mentioning to someone named "marathon2."
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
sandi

marathon -

Check the following website:

http://www.encounterzanzibar.com/index.htm

that lists most hotels/lodges/bungalows on Zanzibar. The descriptions are pretty good and they provide some range on prices. Check with your provider if those of interest are available for when you plan to visit, along with the current prices. Most prices are for Half-board (HB) - breakfast and dinner. And at the lower price scale don't expect air conditioning, though ceiling fans are found at just about all properties.

For any lodgings of interest, you can always come back here for feedback from those who may have stayed at them.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi. I'll look over the info on hotels.

We won't be able to do the marathon-the dates don't work. I'd noticed the race, but thanks for pointing it out. We hope we can run a little while we are there though.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:18 AM
bat

Since your daughter wants to dive, check out One Ocean's web site--PADI dive operation at Matemwe for diving around the Mnemba atoll. For accommodations, they have links to Matemwe Beach Village. Their standard units are reasonably price (and 2 units have a/c). If you have more money you may want to consider their suites--amfs wrote about their stay in one. One Ocean also has a link to a newer Matemwe bungalow hotel-- Nyota--also reasonably priced. If the timing works out, Matemwe Beach Village offers free transport from Stonetown. You can communicate directly with them to book.

http://www.zanzibaroneocean.com/index.htm
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I just looked at their site. 2 quick questions.
They don't have air conditioning. Is a ceiling fan enough? We are not used to heat.
Also, do they provide transportation to their lodge? I didn't see that addressed.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
bat

marathon2:

Matemwe Beach Village website says that they have 2 units with a/c.

http://www.matemwebeach.com/matemwe-02.htm

This page indicates that you can get free transport from Stonetown at certain times. http://www.matemwebeach.com/matemwe-05.htm

Their webiste is out of date re pricing so you should write to them if you are interested.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've emailed them and am now corresponding with ATR.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM
bat

I am curious. How did you get transferred to ATR? I know that ATR books them (I am booked with ATR myself) but I had also been able to communicate directly with Matemwe Beach Village and One Ocean without going through ATR.

Even so, I believe that ATR will get you a good price because they deal with them so much.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I emailed Matemwe Beach and they forwarded the request to ATR I guess. ATR said emailed that they are the main booking agent for them. I wasn't familiar with ATR until then.