safari in late april

Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

safari in late april

this will be my first trip to africa. i am going to be in mzuzu, malawi for ~1mo doing medical related things. will likely check out lake malawi and nearby areas in freetime. afterwards, i would like to partake in a safari. any recommendations as to where would be a good place to go in late april to get the best experience? thanks very much.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:24 AM

South Luangwa, the most well known park in Zambia, is within driving distance of Lilongwe.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:34 PM

This is really my husband's response, since he was in Malawi last Sept/Oct without me, with the Marion Medical Mission installing shallow wells. At the end of his stay, he travelled to Zambia's South Luangwa national park. Here's what he has to say about it:

A tour was booked for us with the Land & Lake Safari company in Lilongwe (Malawi). They provided transportation to the park. That was a good idea -- the trip from Lilongwe to the park is long (6 hours or so) and arduous, and you really don't want to drive yourself. The roads are almost all gravel and very rough. We had one flat tire on the trip there.
We stayed at Marula Lodge, which is just outside the park. It is run by Muslims and does not serve alcohol - you can bring your own. I'd only recommend the place if you are looking for spartan accomodations.
You will see many animals in the park. Our guide, Godfrey, was excellent and made the trip worthwhile in spite of a number of vehicle failures. We saw a leopard -- my first one in nearly a dozen trips to Africa. Many of the park's roads are not paved and are impassible in the wet season. April is probably the beginning of the dry season, so you probably won't be hindered much by muddy roads and soft ground. Guides are permitted to drive off-road, so the mud factor is significant.
It's a wonderful African experience -- don't miss it!

Search this Thread