Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > safari in Kenya and Tanzania in the end of December and January

safari in Kenya and Tanzania in the end of December and January

Jan 28th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Anne

safari in Kenya and Tanzania in the end of December and January

I read I think all posts regarding safaris in these two countries and still did not find an answer about weather during Chrismas break from university. We can leave in the end of December and stay there for three weeks. We don't mind hot or cold weather but humidity kills my spirit. Also any suggestions on camps in Tanzania and Kenya which are exceptional? We don't want to stay in lodges if there are other options but would like to have a private bathroom and hot shower. Please help! Thanks

Jan 28th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Noemi

We were in the Masai Mara, Kenya, in december last year and the weather was very nice. Almost no rain at all! We went to Siana Springs and we liked very much! We were in what they called a permanent tent with a private bathroom and hot water.
Good luck!

Feb 1st, 2001, 09:11 AM
Caroline S.

A friend and I just returned from a 37-day trip to Kenya (Dec. 15-Jan.20). The weather in Nairobi and the south (esp. Maasai Mara) was very rainy then and has gotten worse. I understand it is not uncommon for the "short rains" to extend themselves in this way, esp. in the south and west of the country. We stayed in a variety of venues from actual tents-you-have-to-pitch yourself to permanent tented camps to mid-priced lodges: it was good to have a mix. We loved our trip so much that we are also planning to return at the end of December 2001 for 3 weeks. If you're interested in joining a mixed and adventuresome group of women (all ages) to see Tsavo, Amboseli, Maasai Mara and other natural wonders in the shadow of Kilimanjaro let me know and I'll tell you more about the group and the trip. Otherwise, I couldn't give a higher recommendation than Jayne Ngatia at Bunson Travel ([email protected]); why not contact her with your questions and ideas? She's sharp, saavy, budget minded and great fun! Above all, good luck!

Search this Thread