Safari in January - too hot?

Oct 16th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Safari in January - too hot?

I am considering a trip to South Africa in January for 2 weeks. If I go there,it is essential for me to go on one of the safaris as I don't know when or even if I will return given time & age constraints.

Is the weather too hot in Jan for safaris? I see that the accommodations are not air conditioned & fear it will be too hot. If impractical to go on safari in Jan, I will abandon plans and go some other season in the next few years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:06 AM
sandi

South Africa is a diverse country with different weather depending where you are. Some places can be hot, others mild. And not all accommodations, even on safari, are without air conditioning. Many have a/c and if not a/c there are fans. And we found the evenings did cool down sufficiently to sleep quite well.

But as we've seen these past years, there is no guarantee what weather/temps there will be anywhere in the world - think France (most of Europe) this past summer.

I saw your post on the Asia board and can tell you, South Africa will not be Thailand.

Oct 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - should you read this, you're absolutely right. I plan to visit either Southeast Asia or South Africa with 3 friends to celebrate a 50th birthday. So we are trying to quickly get information about the two choices to make an informed selection.

One of us has been very concerned about the heat and a safari trek. The birthday celebrant will only visit South Africa (preferred by the other 2 travelers) if it includes a safari - his prime interest. Hence, my question.
Oct 17th, 2003, 05:43 AM
sandi

Well, of course, you have to spend some time on safari. And no worry about "safari treks" - it's more like a "walk in the woods" with guide and certainly not strenuous. As to the heat, it may be hot, but you're in shorts and t-shirts (though some prefer to wear long pants) and it's at an easy pace.

Most other times, safari is a drive in a vehicle with a ranger and tracker and no extra effort on your part except to take photos.

We were in Thailand last year and I never experienced such opressive heat and humidity, though with a/c private cars, drivers and guides, plenty of bottled water, enjoyed ourselves tremendously - from Siem Reap in Cambodia to visit temples at Angkor Wat, returning to Bangkok, up north to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and finally south to Phuket to relax.

Pricewise, I believe SEAsia will be less expensive, but even with Southern Africa, depending on accommodations chosen doesn't have to "break the bank".

You can do a few days in Capetown (a beautiful city), fly to Victoria Falls, and even venture into Botswana for a few days safari, then return to JNB to venture to Kruger (Mpumalanga area)or Natal provence for safari options.

There are choices, various price ranges, just check out a few sites that are mentioned on this board.

www.2afrika.com
www.go2africa.com
www.africatours.com
www.premiertours.com
www.fisheagles.com

also www.e-gnu.com - which will give you lots of info on the various accommodations throughout Africa.

Toss a coin or take a vote. Have fun.

Search this Thread