Safari in Botswana or SA

Sep 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Safari in Botswana or SA

Would appreciate hearing the opinions as to which is a better experience for a game drive. Botswana or South Africa? Am just starting on researching. thank you.
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Susan: You certainly can't go wrong in either country. Try using the Search at the top of the page to find lots of info from former posts. I travelled to South Africa in 2002 and 2003, then to Botswana in 2004. While enjoying RSA immensely, Botswana captured me entirely. It is truly 'wild'...no roads, phones, TV, etc. The wild game was less habituated to vehicles and less predictable to find. Also, accomodations are 'luxury tented' safari, rather than a chalet. Certainly, you could do both, as travellers usually arrive in Jo'burg and then fly on to Maun. If you are an equestrian, then you should consider 'African Horseback Safari' for a truly stunning experience. As I mentioned, there has been quite a lot written on Fodors regarding both destinations and the posts should prove helpful. Half the fun is in the planning...enjoy! Nancy
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:24 AM

I went to the Okavango Delta and to Sabi Sabi. Both were amazing experiences and both were unfenced reserves. You definitely can't go wrong with either. A lot of your decision should be based on the time of your year you are going. I went in early September and was happy with the weather conditions in both of these places. Note that a lot of camps near the Delta close during December-February for the rainy season. And right after the rainy season, the bush is dense and it is harder to view the wildlife. Hope this helps.
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Depends on budget, preference on which animals and birds you're keenest to see and what your prior experience of safari is (if any).

For example for low budgets I'd say that South Africa wins as it has an amazing selection of game parks that which allow you to self-drive. There is inexpensive accommodation and you can book onto a few organised activities to break it up a little.

Namibia's Etosha is also recommended (not been myself) but South Africa has more options for self drive in terms of game viewing.

For mid budgets and high budgets both Botswana and South Africa offer a number of excellent options and a lot will depend on your preferences in terms of environment, accommodation and so on.

Search this Thread