Safari in August

Jan 28th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Safari in August

Hi I am planning a safari in August this year. I have been to Kenya twice and was thinking of SA. But some of the posts have put me off due to the cold weather. Does anyone know if it would be any warmer in Botswana, Zambia or even Namibia. Any thoughts welcome
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:29 AM

When we were in Botswana in Aug/Sep, 1999, it was very cold in the morning. As soon as the sun came up it warmed up right away and I didn't notice it as much in the evening. Mostly it was windy in the morning and it was very cold. They'd have a fire and we'd stand around it while we ate a bite before we went on a game drive and they had the flannel lined tarps to wrap around us on the game drives and that helped. We showered after lunch or after the evening game drive just before dinner. The animals are more plentiful as its the dry season and I preferred that over what it was like last April during the green season when the grass was so high you couldn't see the animals. I really wished we had waited until August for that trip.
Botswana is entirely different from East Africa and a thrill to stay at the smaller camps out in the bush. A lot more of the old Africa feel to it. Liz

Search this Thread