Search

2afrika safari questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2afrika safari questions

I'm thinking about going on a 2afrika safari in September and I've got a few questions.<BR><BR>1. Thinking about doing the 15 day Grand Combo Safari of:<BR><BR>Arusha, Tarangire National Park, Olduvai Gorge, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Nairobi, Serena Mountain Lodge, Lake Nakuru National Park and Masai Mara National Park<BR><BR>Is this too many places to go to in 13 days in Kenya/Tanzania? Should I slow it down and spend more days in Masai Mara or Serengeti?<BR><BR>2. On the 2afrika safaris, do you ever feel like you're off the beaten path and away from the crowds? <BR><BR>3. The 2afrika minibuses that are pictured on the web page seem too confined. Would it be better to be in a more open vehicle?<BR><BR>4. I'm very interested in a one or two day walking safari, can anyone recommend a good park to do this in?<BR>
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:30 AM

Roderick, Having been with 2afrika this past June I can only comment on the Tanzania portion of the trip you are thinking about. Bear in mind the 2Afrika folks offer a great time at just about the lowest price you will find. Thus, one may have to give up a few conveniences. Yes, I would have been delighted had the three of us has a vehicle all to ourselves. As it turned out everything worked out okay with the 6 of us. Except when in parts of the N Crater (maybe mid-morning on)we often didn't see that many vehicles. Keep in mind we were there in June. When on the Serengeti I often looked around and did not see another vehicle except the other van from 2AFrika. The itinerary may seem a bit much but again the program 2Afrika offers is intended to give one a crosssection of that part of Africa at a very good price. Actually, the time we spent at the Gorge was during a lunch break as part of an all day drive in the Serengeti NP. The view of the Gorge is great as were the numerous small birds at the visitor center and lunch spot. If you opt to go, have a great time. Dick
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Hi Roderick<BR><BR>We did 8 day in Kenya last October (Nairobi Safari Club, Samburu Serena, Serena Mountain Lodge, Lake Nakuru Lodge &amp; Mara Sopa Lodge) ... lots of driving between sights (while only 200-300km, the roads are not that good - but thats not all bad, better roads themselves would impact what your going to see due to the construction itself &amp; the extra tourists better roads would bring) ...<BR><BR>Amazing trip and I'd love to go back and rather than visiting more locations I may have preferred an extra night at the places we did visit ...<BR><BR>We prebooked with Suntrek, a local group in Nairobi, and they did an excellant job with a private/custom tour for us (so it was the two of us plus our travel coordinator, which made for a nice trip) ...
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:11 PM
k

We're leaving on the Grand Combo June 29th. Any advice would be appreciated and of course I'll leave plenty of feedback when I return. Dealing with Ken at 2Afrika has been a pleasure.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:50 AM

k, there have been several posts as to trips to the area via 2Afrika (use the text box and search &quot;Tanzania&quot;. If I were to give some last minute advice I would be sure to tell of bringing hand wipes and dollar bills (for tipping), maybe small note books/pads/chaulk for kids. Also, mind emphasize use of laundry at lodges instead of packing the extra clothing. As you get to know your guide (and with consent of fellow travelers in the travel) be sure to let him know of items of interest. I regret not mentioning my desire to get a good photo of baobab (sp) tree as I am sure he would have stopped when we came upon the ones we did. Looking forward to reading your post.

Dick