Safari Help Mid-August

Jun 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Safari Help Mid-August

I have been looking at this site (together with reading various SA guides) for some time now and I seem to have narrowed by choices to three safari camps to stay at for three nights in mid-August. This will follow 12 days in Cape Town, the Whale Coast and the Winelands. (Roccco comments have been particularly useful and we all must thank him for sharing his trip highlights with the board.)

Part of our final decision will be based on the fact that we will be travelling with two children (ages 11 and 13) and, obviously, budget considerations. Singita, Londolozi and Royal Malewane (in the Thornybush reserve) are clearly in the top league, but apart from not accepting kids under the age of 12, they are above our budget--- at least until the kid's colleges have been paid for. Having said that, I would appreciate any comments regarding the following lodges:

Leopard Hills
Inyati
Chitwa Chitwa

Any additional suggestions are also encouraged and appreciated from this first time traveller to SA.
Jun 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
sandi

I'm not familiar with Inyati, but Leopard Hills is way more expensive than Chitwa Chitwa - in fact almost in league with Londolozi.

You might want to check site:

www.e-gnu.com

they list prices for many of the lodges and camps for your review.

Not to add to your choices, but you might want to take a look at Simbabili that has a/c rooms each with plunge pools*, and their prices include the transfer from Hoedspuit airport.
*though August still has rather chilly temps, especially mornings and nites.

Jun 21st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, thanks for your suggestion. I realize that Leopard Hills is up there in price. Your comment as to Simbambili begs the question as to whether you have stayed there and what your experience has been.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:39 AM
sandi

Babbo - no I haven't stayed there, but for some reason it appeals to me as a lodge I might consider the next time I travel to SA.

Since you'll be traveling with your children, you have to make sure that children are welcome, the ages when they start to charge (some camps charge 50% of adult for those over 12), also what activities are available for them. Some camps might have activities for children, but will not allow them out on safari.

The e-gnu site provides some information re children when you access the "view prices" screens. Once you find the lodge that meets criteria you've set, then check about children's activities.

You can email e-gnu re this, however, if you choose to use e-gnu for booking do check their payment procedures, as I don't believe they take credit cards.

Hope you find the information you need.

Search this Thread