Search

safari guides & vehicles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari guides & vehicles

Do you keep the same safari guides and vehicles throughout or do you have different guides and vehicles at each lodge?I read on here that in grumbeti you would be in open vehicles, I thought that your guide and safari vehicle from your operator stayed with you throughout now Im getting confused so if someone could put me straight I'd be grateful.
Also on the camera side of things (and I have to admit to being absolutely dense about camera's) I have a panasonic lumix fz50 with a 12 optical zoom 35mm eqiv to 35-420 is this sufficent to take decent pic's of animals, what about birds do I stand any chance or not? as most of you seem to use slr's any help here would be appreciated
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM

don't know about the vehicles, but your camera will be fine (unless you want to upgrade) I have the canon s1 which is 10X optical zoom and have some incredible pics including birds. if I was a serious photographer, I would upgrade but my camera serves it's purpose well.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
aby

Hi keah05
many fly into camps...
many camps have their own vehicles
<i>Where do you want to go?
- specify &amp; get specific answers </i>

your camera is fine.
(though zoom power is never sufficient)few people have better zooms or over 420mm (though slr users usually will have a 1.4X-2X converter )
Birds: u can get fair pics of birds. for the smaller ones it ain't always enough... with some patience &amp; a good driver u can full-frame even a (lilac-breasted) Roller

aby
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Camera, your FZ50 will do good. Memory cards are getting cheaper, get more. Spare batteries also.
regards - tom
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your assurances on my camera didn't want to go to the expense of an slr as I probably would have little need for it after thats if I ever got the hang of it to take a decent pic.
Aby, going with Roys safari's just wondered if all our game drives are done with the same guide and vehicle we are doing a driving safari is it when you fly in that you use the lodge guides and vehicles? I think I may have just answered my question? Perhaps I better go to bed it is 5 in the morning.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM

keah05, I also have the panasonic FZ50 and it took wonderful pictures on my trip to Botswana and Zambia. Birds were not a problem. When we go to Tanzania next March, we will have our own guide/driver until we get to our last camp (Suyan), where our driver will leave us and we will be in the hands of the camp guides.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 04:13 AM
sandi

keah -

Why not post your itinerary here so we can see where you're going, for how long and where staying.

Generally, if you are driving between the various parks, you will have your guide/driver/vehicle throughout. If, however, you were flying to/from the various parks, then you'd use the camp/lodge vehicles.

If you are staying at Grumeti River Camp, you have have your own guide on the FB-basis (full-board) or GP-game package basis using the camp's guide/vehicles. If the other camps in this area Kirawira or Mbalageti, you can have the same arrangement, all depennds on what you arranged with your outfitter. GPs do cost more than FB.

Post your itinerary, so if further questions we have a reference point.

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM

<b>going with Roys safari's just wondered if all our game drives are done with the same guide and vehicle we are doing a driving safari</b>

You will definitely have the same driver/guide the whole trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded I have now posted my itinary as Sandi suggested I await your comments.
Keah