Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safari - Governors Il Moran Camp (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safari-governors-il-moran-camp-552449/)

judytwo Aug 17th, 2005 12:47 PM

Safari - Governors Il Moran Camp

First time on Safari beginning of November. Thinking of staying at the Governors Il Moran Camp. Has anyone stayed there this year? How safe is the area as there has been some recent problems around the country. Would welcome any feedback on location, weather, etc.

sandi Aug 17th, 2005 02:01 PM

While November is the beginning of the "short" rain season, you might not have any and if so, only brief showers late afternoons or overnight. Il Moran is ideally situated for the Migration, though by November it's likely the wildebeest herds will have left the Mara and moving onto the Serengeti in Tanzania. With any luck the herds may be late departing the Mara. But you've picked an excellent camp.

What does the rest of your itinerary look like, how long, which areas, what accommodations? And with whom did you book? We're all such a curious bunch!

As to "recent problems" - no worry in the Mara or any other places you're visiting during your safari.

For "recent problems" one can look at London, Spain, Morocco. There are "problems" worldwide these days. Safari is practically problem free.

Happy travels.

judytwo Aug 18th, 2005 04:28 AM

Thanks for response and information. Do I take it you have stayed at Governors Il Moran? If so, what can you tell me about the camp, jeeps, staff etc.???? Staying at the Serena Hotel Nairobi first.

sandi Aug 18th, 2005 04:48 AM

We visited, but didn't stay. From what we observed the camp tents are lovely. But there have been previous posts here on Fodor's with more information. Suggest you do a search in the box on the top of this board - enter in the box "Governors Il Moran Camp - click enter to the right. Threads with information will appear on the left column which you can read thru. Or hopefully some who have actually visited will respond to your post to answer specifics.

judytwo Aug 18th, 2005 11:29 AM

Will certainly try your suggestions. Many thanks. New kid on the block I am afraid on this site!

sandi Aug 18th, 2005 12:33 PM

judytwo -

No need to be ... we don't bite. Joke sometimes, but newbies are welcome to join in. We were all newbies at one time. And soon you won't be.

Steph_SEA Aug 18th, 2005 02:08 PM

judytwo - I'm heading to Il Moran in December. I'm travelling with a woman who has been to Il Moran twice before. I figure if she's willing to stay at the same place 3 times, it must be great. I've seen her pictures of the tent interior and it looks just like the pictures on their website. She said they are very luxurious tents. My friend also raved about the staff and food. If you choose Il Moran, I don't think you'll regret it.

Kavey Aug 19th, 2005 01:59 AM

Another who hasn't stayed but has visited - looks very nice and the people we were dropping off (on our way back to Governor's) really enthused about it.

judytwo Aug 19th, 2005 06:03 AM

Thanks for input. Yes, someone who wants to return for a third time must have thought it very good indeed.
Have arranged trip through Carrier. Anyone know how reliable they are?
Also any views on the Serena hotel, Nairobi?

sandi Aug 19th, 2005 06:12 AM

Glad you received direct feedback.

Carrier - not familiar. Where located? In-country Kenya or elsewhere. There are so many tour operators/outfitters it's difficult to know all.

The Serena in Nairobi is lovely. How long is your entire stay in Kenya, besides time in Nairobi and a few days in the Mara? Why not list your entire itinerary.

judytwo Aug 19th, 2005 06:24 AM

Only disocverd this web site a few days ago and am fascinated by the amount of knowledge shared with participants.
Slightly concerned that you are unaware of Carrier acting as the agent whilst in Kenya. They have offices in Africa, Caribbean, North America, Europe & N. Africa as well as their descripton of worldwide.
As for the remainder of the trip will be leaving safari to fly to Mombassa, staying at the Serena Beach hotel and then catching a cruise.

sandi Aug 19th, 2005 07:11 AM

Why not post the Carrier link. Then we can take a look-see.

If I did a Google search, no doubt I'd come up with "carrier air conditioners."

judytwo Aug 19th, 2005 07:17 AM

Yes, I will do a separate link asking for information on tours using Carrier. For your interest their web site is www.carrier.co.uk

At the risk of pushing the boat of assistance out, may I seek some guidance on temperatures I can expect am/pm at beginning of November in Kenya, but specifically whilst on safari in the Masai Mara?

Many thanks.

sandi Aug 19th, 2005 08:59 AM

judytwo -

Jasher answered as regards Carrier. Being in the US, had never heard of them, though quite familiar with A&K and Cox & Kings, both way over the top when it comes to prices.

November daytime temps are probably mid-70s, mornings and nites can go as low as 55-60. We didn't need more then a heavy cardigan sweater or light jacket for mornings/nights.

However, if you will be doing game drives in open camp vehicles, be prepared with a thermal t-shirt under, a scarf, gloves and even a hat - don't forget the socks. When these vehicles take off across the plains, the wind does whip up. This holds true even if on the hottest days... just the way it is.

And in Nairobi - being at 5,000' the mornings/nights are likewise chilly, but mild daytime temps. The coast will be hot and sticky - don't forget your insect repellent for the Mara and on the coast.

judytwo Aug 19th, 2005 09:07 AM

Thank you so much for all the information. I shall certainly post some comments on my return in the hope that others may find some aspect helpful.