Safari - Good Earth Tours

Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Safari - Good Earth Tours

We just completed a 6 day Safari with Good Earth and had a great time. After looking at many companies on line, Good Earth had the best prices and best overall feedback. For a 6 day camping safari we paid $790, which included all meals, park fees, gas, and no hidden costs. Here is a breakdown of various trip details and what we thought.

Booking Trip.
We did all our booking through Narry in Florida. Sometimes it took a day or two to get responses, but he answered all questions and everything was booked without any problems. We were able to book a group any size and any dates which was great.

Arriving in Africa.
We flew in and out of Kilimanjaro airport. This was only 1 hour drive from the town of Arusha where we stayed. We were met at the airport by our driver, just make sure you let them know your flight time. Our hotel was the Jacaranda hotel. It wasn't luxury, but had a very cool local atmosphere with outside dining and local art. The hotel could use some fixing up, but it was OK overall. Our local representative was at the hotel both before and after our trip to greet us.

Safari.
We chose to do the camping safari. We stayed 1 night at Lake Manyara, 3 nights in the Serengeti, and 1 night at Ngorongoro crater. The tents and pads were nice, and the food was great. Each meal we were served more than we could eat. Our vehicles were a little older, maybe late 90's, but still in good condition. I believe they only use Toyota Land Cruisers that seat 1 driver and 5 passengers comfortable. Seeing the beatings these cars take on the roads each day, you can't expect to see a clean dent free truck unless it is brand new. Our guides were great and friendly. Camping in the Serengeti was a little scary. There are no fences around the campsite, so at night you can hear the animals around the tents. One night I spent 2 hours looking out the tent at yellow glowing lions eyes, just waiting for them to leave so I could go to the bathroom. We went by the Seronera lodge which was awesome, I would stay there next time. All 3 parks are worth visiting since they offer completely different atmospheres.

Overall we really enjoyed our trip. We went with a private group of 8 so we could make our own itinerari. I would use the same company again if I went.

Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up on Good Earth.
I've actually seen a bed pan on mobile camping trips for just your situation.

Any special wildlife sightings?

Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM

Hi Jake,

We are going to use Good Earth as well, and there might be 8 of us. Did you guys have to get two Land Cruisers or another type of vehicle? Thanks for the advice!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM

I bet that was one quick trip to the bathroom after having watched the lion eyes. Yikes!

Sounds like a fun trip. Glad you had a good time. And of course thanks for taking the time to report on your experiences!

Search this Thread