safari game drives

Sep 25th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

safari game drives

I am starting to do research for a trip to SA, which I have never been. I do want to go on a game drive safari, but am overwhelmed by all the information. Would appreciate suggestions as to tour companies, preferably South AFrican. Also, all I know about is Kruger National Park...is that a good place to start or are there others game preserves that are much better. Am thinking of 4-5 nights safari, then sightseeing Capetown and Johannesburg. thank you.
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:40 AM

You are going to have to do your own research and decide what is best for you. Here are a few good websites to get you started:

www.tagasafaris.co.za
www.e-gnu.com
www.siyabona.com

If it is private game reserves that you want, you should budget anywhere from $300 per person per night on the low end, to $1,000 per person per night for the very best.
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

are all the preserves private or are there other options?
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM

There are self catering options that will cost you no more than about $100 per person per night, such as the following:

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/tamboti-tent-camp.html

You would either then self-drive yourself on safari or would be able to book yourself, at an additional cost, on game drives.

You may want to do something like this for about 3 nights and then spend 2 - 3 nights at a luxury lodge where you will be very pampered.

You will probably be able to get excellent deals anytime between May - August, but it will also be very cold from June to early August (about 40 degrees farenheit, making night and early morning game drives a challenge in open air game viewing vehicles).

If you happen to go in the above low season, you will probably be able to find some very good luxury lodges for no more than about $300 per person per night for a place like Inyati or Djuma Vuyatela (I didn't have a good time at Vuyatela but I was tired by that portion of the trip and was not very tolerant by then, but the rooms were excellent and the staff was wonderful).

www.inyati.co.za
www.djuma.co.za

Inyati is better placed within the park with Sand River frontage but the rooms at Djuma Vuyatela are immaculate and if it is your cup of tea you also have internet access and massage therapy available at Djuma Vuyatela.

You really should allow six nights for safari, as it is a long way to come to get to South Africa wherever you are coming from. You don't really need more than 2 nights in Joburg and 4 nights in Cape Town, so even if you only have 14 nights, six nights on safari is still possible.

Search this Thread