thinking of Dubai in Late March/Early April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my dear husband has this wild idea to take the family to Dubai. I found it on a map but have no idea WHAT DO YOU DO THERE??? We have two teenaged boys - I know its a big european tourist destination but what are the activities available - especially for two blond, blue eyed kids? Thx
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM

The Wild Wadi Water Park. You can check it out online.Great place with fabulous hotels surronding it.We took our 2 blond/blue eyed kids Easter 2004.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

How old are your kids? Ours are 16 and 18. Beyond the waterpark, is there anything else to do?
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:08 AM

Our kids are 8&10,But don't let age dissuade you.This water park is unlike any we've ever seen.The slides propel you uphill and lead one into the next then into the lazy river.After waiting in line a few minutes you can be on a ride lasting 10 minutes plus the lazy river.There are desert safari's,sport fishing,wave runners etc.There is some of the best shopping in the world.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:30 AM

I travel to Dubai a lot on business and sometimes spend a weekend there as part of a business trip. I think it is an OK place for a vacation, but also think there are plenty more interesting places like Jordan (esp Petra) and Egypt. If you are coming from the US it is a VERY long way to go to not really see much. If you combine it with a trip to Jordan or Egypt then IMO the long flight is justified.

I would stay at a beach resort and if spend a night or two in the desert. The beach is pretty but not spectacular, no turquoise waters, powder soft sand and palm trees, just beach with a small surf. There is a small "old city" area which is somewhat interesting, but they don't have extensive ruins. There are a lot of shopping malls and high rise buildings. The shopping is good but you will not really find anything unusual, and prices are not any lower than the US for items, and sometimes more. It reminds me a lot of Singapore but with sand; i.e. a lot of shopping malls, everyone eats at hotel restaurants and there are some preserved bits. (Don?t get me wrong, I lived in Singapore for 5 years and loved it and recommend it as a tourist destination. IN comparison, Dubai is quite dull.) The desert is interesting, but nothing like the Wadi Rum area around Petra. Note that March and April will be fairly hot and very humid. It is strange to be in a desert and have such high humidity, but as it is on the sea it is humid.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:43 AM

Cicerone:I agree completly.We took our kids to egypt,nile cruise,Petra/Wadi Rum April 2002.We went to Dubai as a Exotic/beach type vacation.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM

Well I dont suppose there is much to do in Dubai. But if your husband does insist there are safari trips with camel riding and sand skiing and motor biking.
In addition to water sports ( depending on the hotel you stay at) and Yes like the rest suggested Wild Wadi.

Good Luck
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Dubai in March a couple of years back...we had great fun there for about 9 days. We went to the beach, toured the Burj Al Arab, went shopping, went to the gold souq, went on a desert drive etc. I have posted a trip report with lots of pictures on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway