safari feedback and small planes??

Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

safari feedback and small planes??

love all the opinions of the Africa group--read this all the time and now at last we have our safari and we are so jazzed about it!!! but--would love any feedback
and need HELP about flying....
as this trip includes many flights in small planes 8-12 seaters--there are 8 in our family so......any advise as to how to make this a fun and "good" part of our trip as there will be many hours in these planes--we have one daughter (an adult) who suffers from motion sickness now and again--but we are so into this trip and will get through this detail but advice is appreciated.....this is uncharted territory for us....
fly --Maun to Tuba Tree--3days
fly --Tuba Tree to Lebala Camp--3days
fly -- Livingstone--Tawanga House--3days
fly --South Luangwa Safari House--2days
fly --Mahale Greystoke--4days
fly -- West Serengiti--Mbalageti Camp-3days drive-- South Serengiti--Olduvi--2days
drive-- Crater--Gibbs Farm--1day
fly --Zanzibar--5 days
fly Home
thanks to those who post....
Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM

cheryll,

Wow, I have never seen that before...a transfer from South Luangwa to Mahale? It is quite a distance between the two, I am guessing about 6+ hours on the plane you will likely be flying on.

I would also suggest that you consider adding a third night in South Luangwa, as it really is a great park.

Good luck.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Roccco:
Have always found your posts amazing and helpful--read yours on how to "plan a trip" and it was so close to my own beliefs that it was scarey!!thanks for all the thoughts you have added to this forum--we feel we know you and have gained so much from your experiences---due to schedules we can't add to South Luangwa without giving up some time at Mahale because getting 8 adults into these camps has been a tricky operation--but I agree we wish we could stay there longer--something had to give to make all the days match--thanks for the posting --will stay with this board for all it offers--maybe after our trip we can give some back--
Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM

Cheryll,

Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to commend you on an amazing itinerary. Within 26 nights you are visiting some amazing places in Southern Africa, Eastern Africa and even in that limited timeframe will be able to enjoy 5 nights in Zanzibar at the end, not to mention spending three nights in Victoria Falls.

This should truly be an amazing experience and it was brilliant to use South Luangwa as a gateway into Tanzania.

When is this safari scheduled?
Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM

What a cool and varied itinerary. I too would appreciate any elaboration you can give on your S. Luangwa to Mahale flight. What airline/charter? Private or scheduled charter? How long?

To answer your question: Over-the-counter BONINE about two hours before flying may save the day. I cannot watch IMAX or do merry-go-rounds because I get nauseous. But Bonine allows me to sail the high--and rough-- seas in a little boat. I'm sure it will work for bumpy flights.

I personally handle these charter flights by keeping several chewable Pepto-Bismal tablets on hand and take them as needed, if the flight is rocky. I actually don't take Bonine for the charters because only about 1 in 4 flights make me feel a little queasy. The Pepto works wonders and fast.

Finally, bring your own motion sickness bag. I have noticed sometimes that the small planes were lacking this amenity. As a very last resort, in a pinch a safari hat would work. I came so close to using that solution one time when there was no bag. My illness on that flight was related to poor timing of my Larium anti-malaria tablet and a shot of Amarula, not to motion sickness.

Again, you have a wonderfully crafted itinerary of some of the best Africa has to offer.

Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

Ditto on wanting to know the details of the Mahale flight portion of the trip. We just went there and flew in and out of Arusha. It took about 4.5 hours. You will most likely be on a Caravan for the flight from Mahale. They are fairly large but I also get car/sea/air sick and have found that those pressure point wrist bands that are sold in drugstores really help.

This is a really random comment but if there are any kids on your trip you might want to bring an inflatible beach ball or light weight frisbee with you to play on the beach when you are in Greystoke. They have snorkling gear for you to use and fishing poles but that is it playwise.

Karmagal
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
bat

Hello:
No advice but wanted to say what a fabulous itinerary and can't wait to hear back from you after the trip (which will be when?)--with 8 in your group you will practically have Mahale to yourselves.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM

Karmagal,

Did you post a report? Could you give me the link either here or at my email?

If you did not post a report, I'd love to have one from your trip that included Mahale.
Oct 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

sorry for so late on this reply on the flight to Mahale--we will use private charter as we have 8 in our group--ATR was fab. to get it all togther--not totally for sure on time but approx 6 hours which includes refuel /customs clearance stop--hope this helps
cheryll

Search this Thread