Safari eyes

Aug 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Safari eyes

Does anyone know if there is something like sunglasses that protect your eyes but donít alter the colour of what youíre seeing?

I really hate wearing sunglasses and thatís why I always burn my eyes when on safari. The first time it was so bad I couldnít even have a lantern on my table during dinner. It happened when I lived in Spain as well, but, as there wasnít much to see, I didnít worry too much and just assumed it was something stress related affecting my eyelid muscles. The only problem was bumping into people on the pavements Ė not being able to see a leopard up in a tree is a lot more serious.

Thanks

Aug 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I always opt for grey tinted rather than brown/ orange tinted glass which I find affects colours far less.
Aug 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM

It's worth visiting an optician to test sunglasses of different qualities. There are noticeable differences in optical qualities. Especially if your eyes are so sensitive that you have this kind of reaction to high levels of sunlight.
Aug 9th, 2005, 12:59 PM

As I am very myopic (-9) I find bright light hard to deal with - days that Pete thinks are reasonable are blinding to me, days he finds bright, I have my eyes squeezed shut!

I have found that the normal tints offered aren't dark enough for me so usually ask them to make them darker than the darkest sample if possible.

Also go for larger size than normal so that the bright light doesn't spill in around the sides of tiny specs.
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Wraparounds -- or a least a slight curve--seem to help deflect dust too. I like polarized lenses too--less glare.
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Kavey and Tashak: Thanks a lot, but I was hoping for replies like ďhereís a website where you can buy sunglasses with 100 % UV protection that let you see colours the same way as with the naked eye. They cost $ 5 including shippingĒ or ďI know an easy way to train your eyes to endure any amount of UV exposure. Do like this: xxxxxĒ 8-)

Kavey, Iíve been avoiding grey tints because I believed they would make everything look dull and cloudy. I found this information: http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/arti...unglasses.html and saw that you were right. And apparently, rose and purple tints are good if you want to see a leopard in a bush.

Tashak, Yes, Iím ophthalmology illiterate and should have visited and optician a long time ago, but Iím so afraid of them. Every time Iíve accompanied a friend to the optician Iíve been forced to test my eyes. People think Iím too old not to be wearing glasses, especially my younger siblings who both have been wearing them for a long time, though now my brother has fixed his eyes with laser. The opticians have had to admit I donít need glasses Ė yet. Things might have changed, though I havenít noticed anything, and Iím terrified of the cost and the inconvenience.
Dust and wind make me cry, especially when Iíve burnt my corneas, so Iíll look for curved sunglasses as well.

Iíve always bought brown largish sunglasses Ė but not so large that I look like an insect Ė at the summer sales of H & M or similar.

Kavey, my brother, who was myopic, now has perfect vision, but at the cost of a trip to Kenya.

Thanks again

Aug 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM

When the day comes that laser eye surgeons start performing the procedures on their own nearest and dearest, I might consider it, but not before.

I don't argue that the procedure is unsafe but that it's not been around long enough to know long term effects - 20 or 30 years later.

On top of that, I don't mind wearing glasses particularly, having worn them since I was 5, and would likely still need to wear them anyway as my eyesight has not been static during the 29 years I've been wearing specs so far and would likely continue to change after any op.

I think I'll stick with my specs but wish your brother bestest with his new found freedom from glasses!

Search this Thread