New and improved Bots/zimb. itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I think were locked in something comes up.
Apparently, Camp Kalahari will not be open as planned. For anyone interested Jacks and San Camp are fully booked.

<<"Due to rezoning issues relating to the proposed fence alignment of CT 11 (the concession in which Jack's Camp & San Camp are located) they have been forced to delay the re-opening of Camp Kalahari until 15th April 2009.">>

Here's my new plan;
Here's my itinerary, let me know what you think:

22 July 2008: JOHANNESBURG
Southern Sun 1
1 n.

23 July: VICTORIA FALLS
Ilala Lodge
1 n.

24 July: MANA CANOE TRAIL
3-n./4 d.

27 July: SOMALISA CAMP, HWANGE
3 n.

30 July: SELINDA CAMP, SELINDA-LINYANTI
4 n.

03 Aug: LITTLE VUMBURA CAMP,
2 n.

05 Aug: CHITABE LEDIBA CAMP,
3 n.

08 Aug:<font color="blue"> Camping in Transfer Maun to Planet Baobab, Quad Bike activity and Overnight trip to Ntwetwe Pan with braai (barbecue) dinner.</font>
1 n.

09 Aug: PLANET BAOBAB
2 n.

11 Aug: DEPARTURE

My question is have any of you fly camped in the desert see Aug. 8. If so what was it like? More importantly where do you relieve yourself?
I'm afraid there won't be a full moon - will the stars keep everything aglow?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Is the change the blue? That looks great.

The night in the desert was lovely and I did it in mid-Aug also. A little cool at night but not bad.

I relieved myself on the ground and relied on evaporation. In my case I did not have a prize to bury, but if necessary, I would consider at least kicking some dirt over it, catpan style. A ziplock that can be discarded later may come in handy too.

You'll have a torch to assist the stars during the night. What a fantastic way to commemorate 8-8-08!

Looks wonderful!

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Sounds like a dream trip cybor! You're going to love Somalisa! Make sure you allow yourself some time when leaving to stop at the Painted Dog Conservancy.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM

My wife and I did the Mana Pools canoe trip July 07. It was one of our favorite, if not the favorite, travel experience ever, anywhere in the world. It can be a little scary at times, but that just added to the excitement. The river was filled with hundreds of hippos. Some very close to the canoe.

The scenery is beautiful. You get to see many animals up-close from a very different perspective than a 4x4. Also, the campsites along the river were great places to watch the sun rise and set.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Always such good info. here.
Lynn,
This big cat wants kitty litter
How many were in your party? Would love details, if willing.
I'm hoping the star gazing will be fabulous.

Dennis,
I can't wait for that part of the trip. Due to your advise, I will see if Willy is available. Hope to see Sable.

jns,
I'm glad I found you. Was your trip thru Wilderness? I'd love to hear as much as your willing to tell and see pictures if possible.
Were you able to take pictures while in the canoe - did you get wet?
Did you hike as well?
What prevents the hippos from getting too close? Do shrieking women scare them

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM

I just realized I automatically reverted to the British term used in Africa for flashlight. Obviously you will not be given a burning flame on a stick (torch) to keep you company during the night.

It's funny how context influences word choice. I never say to my husband, here in the Midwest of the US, &quot;Honey, hand me a torch. I just blew a fuse.&quot; He'd think I had gone nuts.

Speaking of going nuts, I also just realized I posted the above on the completely wrong thread. It made no sense. They must think I have indeed gone nuts.

There was another couple who were far away from me and me.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Cybor,
Sounds like a fantastic trip. I can only add personal comment on Chitabe Lediba. I had wonderful gameviewing there last July. I know you've already seen the photos, but if you want me to repaste the link, let me know.

Dana
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:47 AM

I hope the Selinda is NOT a lake when you arrive.... take your snorkling gear.

Geoff.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Lynn,
Never keep your torch in your bonnet, lassie.
Did you do a report on your desert sleep out?

Dana,
Yes, I would love to see the photos, if you'll kindly point me in the right direction.

Geoff,
I'll be all set then, as I'm looking to buy a waterproof camera.
Heard about the flooding and can only hope that it dissipates by then. Wonder how that will affect the wildlife though. Perhaps they'll all go to Angola
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM
lbj

The problem with the high local rainfall level, is that when things start to dry out, the floods arrive from Angola. So water levels sometimes remain unnaturally high in areas that in most years would be plains etc.

An interesting observation of the Selinda spillway, the further it flows, the less likely you are to see elephants around Zib Lagoon and in the open concession areas. They can feed deep in the mopane belt, as the spillway runs through it.

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Cybor,
here's the link to my photos of Chitabe Lediba:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Danastra...7ChitabeTrails
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Cybor, if your email has not changed in a couple of years, then I emailed you some info.

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Not only will the floods arrive when it starts drying out the grass might be very high.

Also (at the moment) there are only two ordinary roads in use in the Selinda concession.

Geoff.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Dana,
Your photos are wonderful and truly get me excited about Lediba. Can't wait to show DH.
Thanks for posting.

Lynn,
Thank you.

Goeff,
This doesn't sound good. As a novice I figured that this wouldn't have any effect by July/August.
I'd also love to hear your thoughts regarding the effects of the flooding on L.Vumbura and Chitabe.
Thank you.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Sounds like an amazing itinerary.
May I ask what company you are using for the Mana canoe trail? This is something I have always wanted to do, and we haven't seen a good trip report here on Fodors about that type of trip. Are you having to do a private charter from vic falls up to Mana Pools?
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi cruisin,
The flights to and from are scheduled.
We're using Wilderness - here's a great site about the trip;
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/safaris/...f/mana_can.htm

Hopefully,
Ibj will come back and induldge us with more info.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:11 AM
lbj

Cybor,

I am in the process of writing a trip report on the Mana canoe trail from last August, though that is over on Safari talk.

Quite simply, probably the most enjoyable and satisfying trip I have ever had in Africa. My favourite camp site is probably Chessa, which is where you spend your second evening.

It is difficult to explain quite how magical being on the water is in those last few hours of the afternoon. Especially during August, when the notorious wind just seemed to drop. Staying in a lodge, there are certain luxuries that diminish the true wilderness feel.You almost feel like a explorer on this trip. Only occassionally disturbed by hearing planes or a boat on the Zambian side.

I am heding to Africa next month, and am planning to get back to Mana Pools to complete a second trip. I have been looking at a 10 day option which takes you all the way to the Mozabique border.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM

lbj-
can you please post a link to your trip report on safaritalk when it is complete? I would love to read it. Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
lbj

It is a race against time to finish it before my next outing begins.....................

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Cybor

Our canoe trip was with Bushlife Safaris. I think they are basically the same as Wilderness. The trips just start on different days of the week.

We were the only 2 people on our trip. They usually like to have 6-8 people, but with tourism down in Zimbabwe we ended up with a private tour. We also did not see anyone else on the river.

We did not get wet. Although there is some paddling involved, for the most part you are carried along by a mild current. Both my wife and I had our digital cameras with us on the canoe.
We were able to take pictures as we drifted along. The guide often stopped the canoes for taking pictures. It was hard to get close-up pictures of the hippos. When they were in close camera range we were too busy paddling so as not to drift into their space. Also. It is very hard to paddle, pray and take pictures at the same time.

The hippos want to stay away from you as much as you want to stay away from them. Well, maybe not as much, but close. When they see you coming down the river they leave the banks and shallow water and head for deep water. I guess they feel safer. The guide was very careful not to get between a hippo and deep water. Many times we pulled the canoes over to wait for them to settle. Only when they all stopped moving did we continue.

We did do several short hikes. We did not see many animals, but it helped to stretch the legs.

I am including a link to some pictures. I have not done this before. I hope it works. If it does not, let me know and I will try again

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...p;conn_speed=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -