Reservations with Sanpark for Kruger NP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making reservations on-line with Sanpark seems to be difficult. First, we want to make
multiple reservations, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do so.
Secondly, on-line reservations seems to require immediate payment and forfeiture of the full amount for cancellations.

Is there an easy way to make reservations at multiple camps over successive days for a tour of the park? We are two adults and looking at October 2012. We have lots of flexibility.

Thanks,

Arlusa
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Call them. The three times/years we have stayed there, camps Satara, Mopani, Letaba, and Olifants, I made reservations using telephone.

regards - tom
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Yes, Arlusa, no cancellations. But they allow changes - so whether you call or make rez online, call to make changes if req'd. I didn't find it difficult to make multiple rez online. Just do one, then the next. The availability calendar is the best I've ever encountered, anywhere. Just do a monthly availability search for each camp. I used my own calendar to write down what was available each day to plan our trip. It worked well to see where we should go each night. Try to stay at least two nights per camp. Otherwise too much moving around.

One suggestion - get accommodations that have a full kitchen and utensils (self catering) even if you plan to eat in the restaurants. It is great to have a fridge, bowls (instead of just a mug) and a knife provided.

They are currently having major flooding, so please be patient.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM

Take look at this thread for info on reservations with SANParks:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#37430624
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

My thanks to all who responded to my question about making reservations with SanPark for Kruger NP. I emailed them and within two day they responded with reservations. Thanks to the comments on this list, it appears to have worked out well.

Now we are looking for a recommendation for two nights at a Reserve. Less expensive is better, but should have a night time game drive.

Arlusa
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Happy to hear Kruger reservations worked out for you. We love Kruger NP.

What is a night time game drive for you? Most every reserve camp starts their late afternoon game drive about 4pm, stays out for the sun to set and have "sundowner" drinks. Then drive for maybe 30 minutes in the "dark", using vehicle head lamps and a hand held spotlight. Then back to camp to wash up for dinner about 8-9pm. If you are wanting a multi hour night drive, best check ahead with the camp.

Also, Kruger NP has night drives, did it once, not keen to do it again. It starts about sundown and they drive for maybe two hours if I remember, but, you ride in a large open truck vehicle that seats about 20 persons (but may not be full). Go ahead and do that once if you want but not like off-roading in a private reserve.

Two nights in a reserve camp is rather short, you'll just get there and then have to leave. Can you do three nights?? In Sabi Sand the Elephant Plains camp is popular lower $$$ camp, but I have never stayed there, yet.

regards - tom
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying. I meant the late afternoon drive. Also, we can do three nights and Elephant Plains is already booked for our dates. Can you recommend another?

Thanks,

Arlusa
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Arathusa is next door and in a similar price range. Worth a try to contact them.