Safari clothing questions - (colors??) - leaving next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for a safari in Kenya and Tanzania next week. I have read a lot about what to take and not take and have a question relative to colors. I read that you don't want to wear black or blue because of the tsetse flies. One other place I read to avoid black and navy blue. I know this is splitting hairs here but I have an insect shield shirt that is light blue (sky blue). Is the problem with navy/dark blue or any shade of blue? I also have sort of a deep turquoise blue fleece jacket (akin to the blue in the Windows Explorer logo). Is that okay? Are the colors only a problem during the daytime or are those flies out 24/7. Probably all really dumb questions but it is my first time on safari and I don't want to attract flies. That sort of sounds funny. Any other suggestions on what to take and not take are appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM
TC

You will be fine. Take your shirt and jacket.

On our trip, tsetse were a minor problem in the daytime. When in a moving vehicle, the flies were not a problem. When the vehicle stopped, the flies would swarm around. We would exit the vehicle and the flies would disburse.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Tsetses tend to be found in pockets. You drive with nothing, nothing, nothing, then they pop up and annoy you. They'll bite you no matter what color you're wearing but best to avoid blue (you'll probably see an occasional tsetse trap looking like a small blue windsock). Your driver will likely do his best to scram once he finds himself in a pocket. Wearing blue is fine at nights in camp. I've been bothered by tsetses in Tanzania (Serengeti, Tarangire) but not in Kenya (Mara)
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Agree with sdb2 - doesn't really matter what you're wearing. If you hit an area where tsetses are they WILL bite you - even though your clothing. They seem to have a particular penchant for ankles, at least that's where my travel buddy and I suffered the most bites - and through socks I might add. Annoying little buggers
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I was actually considering taking some thinner socks and/or anklets. Will opt for thicker ones and be sure to apply Deet on the ankle area. I talked to our travel company guy and he said something similar about the colors. He said he wears blue jeans and as you mentioned, if they are out you will get bit and if they aren't, you won't.