Search

Nakuru or Naivasha

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nakuru or Naivasha

Hi I am currently planning a safari itinerary and have pretty much finished as follows:
Sweetwaters 1 night
Samburu 2 nights
The Ark 1 night
Nakuru 1 night
Naivash 1 night
Masai Mara 3 nights

I am a little unsure if we should combine Nakuru and Naivasha into one stop at one or the other for two nights, as I am thinking we may not have much time at either place and would best be served satying at one to explore. If I am to spend two nights at one which do you think is more worthwhile? Currently we are in the Sarova Lion in Nakuru and Simba Lodge in Naivasha. Any suggestions on alternative accomodation or are these both good.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM

You can stay at one and still make a day trip to the other if you wish. They're not that far distance wise. Naivasha puts you slightly closer to the Masai Mara.

Sarova Lion Hill and Lake Nakuru Lodge are the two larger lodges inside the park. As an alternative there's also Mbweha Camp www.mbwehacamp.com just outside the park near the Nderit gate. Nyamera stayed there recently and you can read about it in her trip report - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34652401

I'm not familiar with the Naivasha Simba Lodge but there are so many places to stay around the lake shore as well as nearby. Do you have a preference for type of accomodations? Larger, smaller, lodge, tent, cottages, eco-lodge, golf resort?

You can find pictures and descriptions of most of them on the Africa Mecca Safaris site - http://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/k...enyalodges.asp
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Nakuru is the most underated park in Kenya: It is typiically packaged as a one night stop effectively breaking the haul down to the Mara.

In my opinion it should be encouraged for two nights, the game is simply brilliant there. One of the few places in Kenya where you have a really good chance of seeing leopard. Also Rhino are abundant if you want the pachyderms.

The euphorbia forest is quite extrodinary, likewise so is the fever tree forest. Not to mention the colobus monkeys & rothschild giraffe, which are endemic to the area. Then of course the bird life....

So in summary: Spend two nights at lake Nakuru and perhaps give Naivasha a miss.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM

sparky7

I like to minimize traveling around and maximize time in a park viewing nature, so I'd go with 2 nights at just Nakuru, having never been to Naivasha.

Mkhonzo,

Thanks for your Nakuru comments and vote for that location. Have you been to Naivasha? Wondered if you could make more detailed comparisons? For example, if time permitted, do you think both places would complement each other?

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I am leaning towards a two night stay in Nakuru rather than one in each based on yoru repsonse and the report form Nyamera.

Thanks for your help. I'll get on toi my tour operator.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:57 AM

hi, visited nakuru in 2001. i was supposed to stop at naivash. & hells gate. after a long ride into the nakuru camp site. saw how pretty it was. i decided to stay 3nts instead of the 2nts. this 1nt stuff, unless you have no choice. maybe a stop over needed. by pass it,not worth it.but thats me.
cheers, david
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:01 AM

hi, if you like. you could check this out. at your leisure of course
thanks david

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4f4a/
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

Yes, have been to both. Nakuru is a game experience whereas Naivasha is really a scenic experience. With unlimited time then a night at Naivasha would complement the itinerary, however since you seem to have constraints it would be better to do Nakuru for two nights.

Will you be travelling in your own car or on a tour vehicle? If the former then it would certainly suite you better to do a two nighter. You'll have the flexibility to enjoy your time as you please. Again one of the frustrations with a typical tour of Nakuru is the haste to get around the lake at the expense of time to absorb it all.