Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safari Beverages (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safari-beverages-519005/)

wallybrenda Apr 6th, 2005 09:01 AM

Safari Beverages

I know this sounds like a silly question but what should one expect of the wines served at the game camps.
We don't drink hard liquor much but really enjoy a GOOD glass of wine with dinner. I know the term good is subjective.
We are staying at Savuti, Kwetsani & Chief's Camps.
Brenda

napamatt Apr 6th, 2005 09:53 AM

Brenda

My screen name says it all. At Savuti the wine is pretty average but very drinkable. At Chiefs Camp it was ahigher quality and pretty good. I have not stayed at Kwetsani. As a wine drinker myself, this is usually one of the main let downs in an all inclusive setting and I prepare myself for that. This last trip we did take a couple of bottles in our hand luggage to Mala Mala which we shared over dinner and they had no problem with that. I would not do that in Botswana for weigt reasons.

napamatt Apr 6th, 2005 09:54 AM

I also recommend Gin and Tonic for purely medicinal purposes ;)

Roccco Apr 6th, 2005 10:07 AM

Brenda,

I have had very good experiences with the wines at private game lodges.

While at Singita, for example, I was the only sucker at the lodge who bought a bottle of wine from their massive wine cellar downstairs. The others all enjoyed the house wine. I tried the house wine and, trust me, it was every bit as good as my own bottle.

As long as you are staying at exclusive lodges, I think you will be given quality wine. I do tend to go with wine at the nicer lodges (Singita, Matetsi, Chichele Presidential Lodge) and beer at the lodges where I am not as confident (Kafunta, Djuma Vuyatela, Kulefu, Kaingo).

With the camps that you are staying, I do believe that you should be provided with quality South African wines.

wallybrenda Apr 6th, 2005 03:54 PM

Hey guys..Thanks for the feedback. We are celebrating our anniversary as are our other friends ( hence why we choose May) while on safari so toasting will be in order!
Will also have had a chance to visit the winelands prior to safari.
Any favorite wineries that you may have visited ??
Cheers...
Brenda

lisa Apr 6th, 2005 04:08 PM

For reds, we enjoyed Rust en Vrede (not sure about spelling) -- a gorgeous location, interesting cellar to wander around in, knowledgable hosts, and unusual tastes for educating our palates unoccustomed to Cab Francs...

Personally I prefer whites though. There are some very nice South African Sauvignon Blancs but I'm blanking on the names of my favorites at this point -- a couple in particular with lovely Cape architecture and big old trees...I will look up notes and post back when I can. Enjoy -- there is some lovely country to drive around in.

tashak Apr 6th, 2005 09:37 PM

mmm, can't remember the wine at Kwetsani, I think it was good but not particularly memorable south african reds and whites. Superb, knock-your-socks off sherry I recall. Cocktails were super, the manager was a superb bartender.