safari + beach

Feb 15th, 1999, 08:27 AM
anna

safari + beach

My husband and I have 2 weeks or a little more around Easter and would like to spend a holiday in South Africa. We think of a one week's safari and one week in a nice resort on a beach somewhere.
Is March/April a good time to travel in South Africa in terms of weather? When are the Easter School Holidays (it might be advisable(cheaper, less crowded) to avoid this time), but are we running into the rainy season after the Easter holidays ?
I lived and worked in South Africa in 1984 and am looking forward to getting back. Is the Beacon Island Hotel in Plettenberg Bay still nice or is there a better place which you would recommend ?
Is the Pilanesberg Game Reserve still nice or which Game Reserve is the most beautiful? We mind neither luxury nor tents. Any any any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for replying.
Anna

Feb 18th, 1999, 12:46 AM
Claudia

The Easter holidays vary from province to province. Hoewever most of them fall between 25/3/99 to about 14/4/99. It has been very hot here lately with the Cape experiencing heatwaves and temperatures reaching +32 in Stellenbosch. There hasn't been much rain this season so we can't do any predictions at this stage. Beacon Isle is still stunning as always but Knysna itself has grown enormously in the last few years. I am of the opinion that Pilansburg is amazing. You do however battle to get reservations so hurry. There are many b/b and guesthouses popping up. Have a look at www.portfoliocollection.com as there are fantasitic places thatare divided into Luxury/hotels/retreats/guesthouses/
b+b's etc. Also have a look at www.ananzi.co.za under travel for listings.
Hope this helps!

Search this Thread