Sabi vs. Kruger

Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Sabi vs. Kruger

What are the main differences between staying inside Kruger vs. staying in Sabis Sands? We are planning to spend 3 days there in early march and have found reasonable rates at Nkhoro (in Sabi) and Shawu and Shonga (in Kruger), but have only their similar websites to try and make a decision. Any help?
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

I haven't stayed in Sabi Sands but I have researched it.

Basically speaking, the Sabi Sands reserves are adjacent to Kruger and have an unfenced boundary so wildlife moves freely between the two.

However the camps within Sabi are privately owned and offer a different experience to Kruger's mainly public camps.

The regular Kruger restcamps offer medium to large size fenced areas with accommodation for lots of visitors. Most of the accommodation is self catering but some units share kitchen and bathroom facilities whereas some units have private ones, at different prices. Visitors self drive around the park but can book onto guided walks and excursions too.

In the private camps accommodation is much more luxurious, prices usually include all meals, most drinks, high quality guiding for drives and excursions and many less fellow guests. A very different experience.

Of course they don't come cheap though there are a range of price levels.

We decided to budget within Kruger (and also in Ithala and Hluhluwe and Imfolozi) but to spend more on private camps in Ndumu and throughout Botswana.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM

Of course, Shawu and Shonga are not standard Kruger rest camps!

One question would be whether Nkhoro accepts young children? Some private camps don't and, to be honest, safari is one holiday where I especially don't want the screams of excited children interrupting the scene.

Another question would be to ask what maximum guest numbers are in each camp.

Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I will let you know how it turns out. A travel agent has sent us quotes for Chitwa Chitwa Safari Lodge and Nkhoro (with Nkhoro being about 400 rand cheaper). My significant other is from Cape Town so we are still trying to get some tips from his family and friends on getting the best bang for our buck, especially with the dollar being so weak. Thanks again and happy travels.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM

No problem, sorry I couldn't provide anything specific. I don't recall Shawu or Shonga from my own research and planning stage which was back in 2003 for a 2004 trip.

Wonder if they are newish or whether I just didn't come across them?

Anyway, would be interested in hearing from others who know more about any of the three choices you've listed.

Good luck!
Kavey

Search this Thread