Search

Camera recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera recommendations

I am going on my first trip to Africa in Feb, 2008 and need to purchase a camera. Anybody have any suggestions as to what would be a good one for wildlife? Thanks
Betty in Fort Worth
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I am VERY PLEASED with my newest camera, a Canon 40d. Went to Zimbabwe & Zambia last July with only my Canon 20d and had okay but unspectacular results...fared much better on a trip last month to South Africa with my Canon 40d (using my 20d as a backup).

Would suggest at least two lenses-one shorter zoom lens and one longer zoom lens-for your visit, although I traveled most recently with this lineup of lenses:

Canon 17-85mm IS
Tamron 24-75mm f/2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8
Canon 300mm f/4L IS
Sigma 1.4x teleconvertor
Canon 1.4x teleconvertor

Such a lineup is impractical if you do not have much past photography experience. In such case you should consider a "point and shoot" digital camera, such as one of the top of the line Panasonic's or Sony's. It is too big a trip to not take the best possible camera.

Good luck.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Whatever you buy, practice with it to become comfortable before departing.

Unless photography is a hobby I would recommend going simple with a 12x or higher optical zoom, image stabilization point and shoot digital camera.

Though this is a costly suggestion, I would not rely on only 1 camera. I'd have 2 available. Maybe one for husband, one for wife. Or one per couple if you are going with another couple, but not just one camera for the trip. I've had only one camera failure on a remote nature trip and the backup was a life saver.

Panasonic and Sony have been mentioned for P&S. Canon has one too that is well liked. So does Olympus, which is up to something like 18x optical zoom. I use Sony P&S, a DSC H-2 and DSC H-9.

Here are some threads where this has been discussed at length--from the P&S cameras to very technical stuff.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35009099
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34965634
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34937100
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34957552
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35018167

You'll have a wonderful first trip.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM

One other tip, when shopping for a camera (or just about anything), this is a fantastic website that pits competitors against each other:

www.nextag.com
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM

But before you buy, I'd find some place where you can physically pick up the camera of your dreams and see if you like it and if the buttons make sense. That may not be necessary if you are just upgrading from a current familiar model, but for something totally new, it is good to feel it out first. I was set on another brand from what I ended up buying, but I just did not like how it worked when I used it in the store. The test run changed my mind.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I second the Sony H2-H9 lineup.....I have a H5 and it made me a better photgrapher. It is lightweight...you can buy an extra zoom lense for $100 online. It also has a video camera.

The perfect package.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM

One of the super zoom (12 times zoom range) from Panasonic, Canon, Sony. No need to use a DSLR and multiple big lenses unless you are very much into photography.

And do practice with it before you go. You will also need memory cards and spare batteries. How much memory cards? Depends.

regards - tom
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM

If this is our first camera, I definitely agree with the other comments to get one of the point & shoot "super zooms" like the Canon S5 IS or the comparable 12-18x zooms from Sony or Olympus.

It is critical to practice with it before you go. A great way to do this is take your new camera to the zoo and shoot several hundred pictures. You do not want to be learning how to use your new camera in the field!

I also second the recommendation to take two cameras. We always do!

Chris
www.pbase.com/cwillis
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM

I think I answered a question on cameras before about a month ago.

I have talked to a fellow who owns a tour company and has been doing Africa for 35 years!

He told me if you have a Canon( he said Canon)with a 10-12 Zoom that is all you need , and have a point and shoot unless you are really into Photography( which I am not).

My Canon Point and Shoot uses 4 AA batteries but it will take a lot of pictures before I have to change batteries.

I always buy several packages of AA batteries ( non rechargeable) and have my re-chargeable batteries in my camera case as a backup...when I am on a tour and away from my room.

Once back in my room I put fresh new AA batteries in my camera and again use the Rechargeable one as a backup.

If you have a 5 Megapixel camera you have more than you will ever need unless you are a professional photographer.

Of course we all have the 7-8-9 pixels or evem more,they just keep cranking out higher pixels because we all buy them...sometimes we do not have a choice !!

Here is a general rundown about the pixels ( which I am sure most of you know anyway)

1 Megapixel...will give you a good 4 x6 picture ( eg.a 5 x7 will be a we bit blurry)

2 MP willgive you a good 5x7

3 MP Will give you a good 8x10

4 MP will give you 9x12

5 MP will give you 11x14

Now come on how many of you have blown up a picture MORE than 11x14.

The last time a did a 8x10 was 10 years ago from one of our University re-unions!

We do not want a 1 MP camera( probably cannot get one now anyway!!) because we do want to crop and enlarge a picture sometimes ,so 5 pixels is all I will ever need.!!

Also when you burn your pictures to a DVD they will retain their quality for about 5-10years !!and NOT more.

So forget what the camera people tell you that the pictures will last 100 years!!!!

So think about it , there will be no CD drives to access your CD 100 years from now, plus I do not think any of you will care too much even 10 years from now !!!

I like atravelynn comment on actually picking up and feeling the camera....they all look great in a Christmas brochure right now don't they.

It seem like every six months a higher memory card comes out.

Good Night All

Percy

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM

dumb question here but when the PP mentions 12X zoom is that digital zoom or optical zoom?
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM

<b>dumb question here but when the PP mentions 12X zoom is that digital zoom or optical zoom?</b>

Actually a smart question ... optical zoom is real, digital zoom is an illusion (just a resampling of the available pixels, something you can do yourself in almost any image editor).

Bill
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:05 AM

To supplement Bill's answer, digital zoom not only does not do anything to improve image quality or real magnification of the image, it actually degrades the image quality because it relies on using data only from a smaller portion of the camera sensor. This magnifies any image quality problems like noise, motion blur, distortion or just plain softness of the lens.

The bottom line is that in evaluating a camera, only optical zoom counts -- digital zoom is just what Bill said, an illusion.

Another thing to keep in mind that the optical zoom rating of a point &amp; shoot camera is NOT a measure of absolute magnification -- all it tells you is the ratio of the lens at its longest versus shortest focal lengths. So, for example, the Canon S5 (12x zoom) has a focal length range equivalent to 36mm-432mm on a 35mm film camera, and you can see that the ratio of 432 to 36 is 12, hence the 12x zoom.

The Panasonix DMC-FZ18 has an 18x zoom, which might suggest to some that it magnifies 50% more than the Canon, but in reality, the Panasonic zoom range is 28-504mm equivalent, which means it gives a slightly bigger image than the Canon, but nowhere near 50% bigger. But it is also wider at the short end, so it has an 18x zoom range.

On safari, the long end of the zoom range is what counts, because the animals are far away, or small, a lot of the time, so a buyer should be guided by maximum equivalent focal length rather than whether the zoom is 12x, 15x or 18x. I would rather have a 1x zoom at 500mm for safari photography than a 5x zoom from 20-100mm!

Hopefully that made sense...

Chris
www.pbase.com/cwillis
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Bill_H

This is an unrelated question but how do you Bold Your type.!

Do you have a certain Tool Bar on your computer , where you can click on &quot;B&quot; for Bold?!

I have Windows Xp but I was trying to do a bold on a few line the way you do and was unable to find the proper button.

Thanks
jmvp
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM

It's okay Bill_H , Thanks but I

just found out how to make the

type in Bold!!!
jmvp
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM

As many of you many remember I had the same questions. I ended up deciding on a Pentax 100D with a Tamron 28x300 lens.

My pictures are mostly good and I do really like the camera. The reason I chose this one is
1. The stabilization is in the camera
2. There is no lag time between shots
3. I can do continuous shooting. I got some great shots showing a lion opening his mouth to roar, and the continuous shooting showed the whole thing like in slow motion.

I am definitely not a photographer and in fact recently took a photo class which I need to retake because this does not come easy to me.

When you are in the camera store practice with both types and decide if the lag time with the buffer reading the information is a problem for you. If not go for it.

Right now there are some great camera deals because in February at the PMA show the manufactures will be launching their new models.