SAA Strike News

Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

SAA Strike News

Saturday, 23 July 2005, 12h00
SAA suspends all regional and international flights due to industrial action

Johannesburg, 23 July 2005. South African Airways (SAA) has cancelled all its regional and international flights until further notice following industrial action by the airline’s cabin crew and ground staff.

Domestic flights are now being intensively assessed on an hourly basis prior to departure. Despite most of the domestic flights being cancelled since industrial action began early yesterday morning, SAA managed to get a significant number of its customers to their destinations on other airlines.

SAA appeals to all its customers planning to travel to postpone their travel until normal operations resume or to make alternative travel arrangements and not to arrive at airports for check-in.

Cabin crew failed to turn up for duty after industrial action began early yesterday. No aircraft can be operated without a minimum number of cabin crew, as required by the Civil Aviation Authority safety regulations.

SAA has put contingency plans in place at all airports to minimise the impact of the industrial action on its passengers and has enlisted the assistance of other airlines, as well in this regard.

SAA apologises to all its customers for the inconvenience caused by the disruption of its services and will do its best to address the needs of its customers.

Passengers can the following numbers for assistance:

* SAA Call Centre - +27 11 978-2888
* SAA Reservations - +27 11 978-1111
* SAA Voyager - +27 11 978-5177

Passengers can also or log on to the SAA website www.flysaa.com for more information.

Issued by SAA Corporate Communications

Doesn't sound good at all...best wishes to anyone scheduled to travel on SAA!
Jul 24th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Tasha

Got stuck at JNB on Friday night, thankfully at the end of the trip. Ended up springing for tickets on Lufthansa to get home, which I did earlier today only 24 hours late and many $$$$ poorer, thank goodness we have the resources available, otherwise we would have been at least two more days.

The strike may be resolved by mid week, the funny thing is that in SA this is not being mentioned in the newspapers or on TV!
Jul 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM

napamatt, I don't know which newspapers you read and which TV news you watched. But it's been and is being given huge prominence in the press. I don'local TV news. Yesterday's Sunday Times (admittedly after your departure) had it as lengthy page one lead, with the headline "Chaos as SAA grounded".
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Typo. Meant to say "I don't usually watch local TV news".

And the strike continues. Meeting again at noon. (10am GMT.)
Jul 25th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Napamatt, I've just realised that my post might have seemed insensitive. You have my commiserations! I hope that in those kind of circumstances they'll credit you the miles. But I suppose that even if they do, you've had to pay cash for the flights back.
Jul 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Arthur

No problems, Saturday's newspapers appeared to have nothing. The front page was talking about Charlize Theron, "whatever!" and I probably didn't tune into the SABC channels at the right time for the news.

Search this Thread