SAA New York to Jo'burg 14 hrs.+

Aug 2nd, 1998, 07:17 AM
Ian Mitchell

SAA New York to Jo'burg 14 hrs.+

Three of us will be flying South African Airways NY.to Jbg.I would like Advice as to best seats,do's & dont's and anything that might help on such along flight. Thanks Ian.

Aug 6th, 1998, 04:52 PM
Debi

I flew SAA NY to Jíberg and back in April í97. Sat in business class behind the bulkhead. Seats reclined well, with footrests. Food was good, different menu on return flight. BC has individual viewing screens with a choice of 5 movies playing continuously (different ones on the return flight) and several differnt music selections so bringing a walkman isnít necessary. My only complaint was the lack of daylight for so long of a flight. The trip back gave us a break (at 3 a.m. no less) for refueling at the Cape Verde Islands, but it gave me a chance to get some fresh air and stretch my legs going from the tarmac to the terminal.
I canít comment on economy or first class. Wear comfortable clothes, or bring something to change into (sweats, etc). The overhead compartments were large enough that no one had to fight to put their stuff away. I was lucky to get one above my seat and had access to it during the flight. I did quite a few crossword puzzles, read a book and listened to a couple of books on tape (I brought a walkman).
Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
Debi

Aug 8th, 1998, 10:27 AM
Ian mITCHELL

Thanks Debi for your input.We are looking forward to our trip Ian

Search this Thread