Travel Visas

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Visas

Planning a trip to Kenya/Tanzania....I have noidea how to obtain a travel visa. Can anyone advise?
Also in terms of immunizations...yellow fever, Hep A and malaria pills are in my plan. Did I miss anything.

Excited to travel in Africa. 16 days -3 camps, Pemba Island and Zanzibar. From everything I have read on these boards I expect the experience of a liftime!

-Jennifer
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:11 AM

Go to destinations,click on Africa,read the info. Go to State dept. web site and follow the directions.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:58 AM

Toccare_girl: If you have enough time, you can get the travel visas through the respective embassies. If not, you can obtain them at the airport/border crossing. I would suggest, however, that if you have the time just get them over and done with. I will be anxious to read your report, especially about Pemba Island. Where are you staying on Pemba? Make sure you take a travel diary, make copious notes and tell us all about it.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
sandi

toccare_girl - if you're working thru a tour operator they should be providing you with this information. If that is not the case, you can as Susan Lynne indicated get your Visas for both countries prior departing (assume the USA) by contacting the respective embassies in Washington. Allow about 1-month prior departure to take care of both of these.

As to your inoculations and meds, be certain that the physician has knowledge of travel to these two countries to provide the required inocs. Do not wait for the last minute to take care of these, as most inocs should be given at least 10-days prior departure. Be prepared to pay for these, as most insurance companies do not cover this expense.

By the way, when do you plan on taking this trip?

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:53 PM

Jennifer, last nite we returned from two week trip to Tanzania and Kenya. Had no problem getting Visa onsite. As previous poster mentioned your safari company should be providing info to you. In any case, we downloaded applications for visa and had such completed when we landed at Kilamanjaro Airport at Arusha. The employee at the visa window didn't even want the completed form (for Tanzania). All he wanted was the $50 cash US per person and of course the passport. In less than a couple of minutes we had the "visa" noted in the passport and proceed onto get our luggage (which was still in Amsterdam!!). We did not have go go thru immigration as he did that in the process of issuing visa. Then, when we crossed the border (by bus) from Tanzania to Kenya we handed our completed application forms to the Kenyan employee with the pass ports and $50 US per person and again within a couple of minutes were on our way. At no time was any interest expressed as to yellow fever immunization (which we got in 2002 for Tanzania trip). Had not health problems during our trip but did take a few precautions including washing hands before eating (take those little towelletts when on the road) and certainly drink only bottled beverage when traveling at at lodges. And, yes, we took malarone every day (2 days prior to trip and for several days afterwards as the anti-malaria treatment. Usually took with breakfast and had not side issues. Yes, your trip sould be a great experience!! Will be posting more in a few days and with pictures. In the meantime if you have questions feel free to contact. Dick at [email protected] or sometimes as [email protected]

Dick