Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   SA - what fruits and vegetable in season in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/sa-what-fruits-and-vegetable-in-season-in-february-494112/)

Aari Jan 10th, 2005 05:02 AM

SA - what fruits and vegetable in season in February

I am a vegetarian and would be greatful if anybody could give some hints on what fruits and vegetables are in season in SA (Western Cape region) in February?

Judy_in_Calgary Jan 10th, 2005 06:18 AM

Aari, you will be able to get locally grown apples, grapes, peaches, plums, strawberries, pears and cherries. Although they will have been shipped from other parts of South Africa, you also will be able to get bananas, avocados, pawpaws (papayas), grenadillas (passion fruit), pineapples, and mangoes. As for vegetables, you can get all the same vegetables that you can get in most other places in the world -- lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, onion, pumpkin, gemsquash, etc., etc.

South Africa has a very nice brand of apple juice called Appletiser.

traci_local_in_sa Jan 10th, 2005 09:31 PM

from one veggie to another ...

In the past veggie fare in SA was rather grim, usually a vegetable platter would be the sum total acknowledgement by most restaurants that there are people who do not each meat. Happily this has change a lot in recent years. Most places have vegetarian options which show some thought and culinary skill. I think you will find that our fresh fruit and veg compare very favourably to the rest of the world.

And Judy, talking about fruit juice - when travelling in the US I would have killed for a carton of Liquifruit!

Aari Jan 10th, 2005 11:19 PM

Thanks a lot, seems that IŽll have plenty of choice there so that I am really looking forward to my trip to SA

Kavey Jan 11th, 2005 12:59 AM

Aari
Just wondering, do you also eat fish? My definition of vegetarian doesn't include fish but I know many friends who describe themselves as veggie but do eat it.
If you do you'll have even MORE of a choice as fish and seafood were on most menus we chose from during our trip last May and June.
Even if not, you should be able to find suitable options in most places.

Aari Jan 11th, 2005 06:22 AM

Well, IŽm this sort of a veggie who eats fish, eggs, dairy products etc, mostly everything but read meat, so of course IŽll pamper myself with fresh seafood :-)

Kavey Jan 11th, 2005 07:11 AM

Ahah! In which case you really won't have ANY problems at ALL! Although there's this image of South Africans as red meat lovers who shun fish and veggies that's not quite the case and if you eat both fish and non red meats (I assume you therefore eat chicken) you don't even need to give it a moment's worry.

What is your itinerary?

Aari Jan 24th, 2005 11:49 PM

Kavey,
I believe our itinerary will be very similar to what I understand from this forum you had last year - 3-4 first days in CPT, then via Swellendam to Garden Route - stops in Wilderness, Plettenberg Bay, Tsitsikamma and Addo. The precise route for way back to CPT is still TBD.
Also decided that our 1.5 y old will stay at home this time, so weŽll have another honeymoon ;-)

Kavey Jan 25th, 2005 03:08 AM

You could always drive one way and spend all your time on that itinerary and then hop on a flight back to CT from PE?

Good for you re the second honeymoon - this was same for us - last year was our 10th wedding anniversary and the trip was born from a decision to renew our wedding vows in the NamibRand Nature Reserve in Namibia...