SA Trip in August

Jun 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

SA Trip in August

My husband and I will be flying into JNB in mid-August. We will have 17 days there. I will be 5 months pregnant. So, we need to avoid malarial zones and don't plan on going too remote. We are thinking we will spend several nights in Madikwe at one of the lodges there (looking at Buffalo Ridge or Mosela Sela -- anyone heard of either???). Is this an easy enough drive to do on our own? We might stay at Mount Grace the day we arrive to hit the prenatal spa and rest up. We're then thinking of flying to either PE or Cape Town and doing the route down there, including a stay at Addo. (Any accomodation recs for Addo?) Where else should we be sure to see along that route? Are the winelands worth it considering the time of year and the fact I can't enjoy much wine? (Of course, I'd be a great designated driver....) I imagine there are some nice places to stay with some great food. One way car hire for 10 days or so is looking really, really expensive. Do we need insurance on top of the listed rates? Can anyone recommend a cheaper option or company? Should we consider the Baz Bus or the Coastal Explorer tour (both of which are cheaper, it appears)? THANKS!!!
Jun 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM

Port Elizabeth is great for a few days and for a malaria free area the Eastern Cape is your best option. Shamwari Game Reserve which is a five star option with the big five has a great off season offer of 2,560 per person per night including all meals game drives and alcohol. I guess they will make a profit on the alcohol in your case.

Visit Addo home to 400 elephants get the right day and you will see most of them, Darlington Lake Lodge within the park is a great inexpensive place to stay.

Book 2 nights or more and get 3 free nights B+B at the Plettenburg, the Belivedere in Knysna or the Steenberg in Cape Town which are all great places to stay.

Car hire is also not so expensive a Polo with air con is 248 Rand per day although there would be a one of drop off charge of 800, this includes unlimited mileage and zero excess, the Baz Bus is less expensive but much less convenient.

For the Winelands see previous posts Chamonix Vineyard have Guest Cottages at 250 Rand per person per night, the best restaurants in South Africa are a few minutes walk. Franschhoek is magic and well worth a visit even if you canít drink too much of the wine.

South Africa is a great place to visit and not so expensive if you seek out the right places.

Please contact me through the pages if you need any help.

Search this Thread