SA questions

Jan 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

SA questions

These questions are in preparation for a possible 2007 trip, departing late June, the only time available.

1. Where is the best place to stay If I want to see the penguin colony in Simon's Town and spend a few hours there on at least one occasion?

2. If I am planning on about 4 nights at Mala Mala, which of these 2 additional parks would make more sense from a wildlife viewing standpoint? Djuma, Elephant Plains or Madikwe? Other suggestions?

3. Are transfers between Sabi Sands camps usually done by vehicle and not air?

4. Can you be in Sabi Sands in the morning and end up at Madikwe by the evening or vice-versa? Are there scheduled flights to Madikwe from Sabi Sands or from Joburg?

Thank you!
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM

1. Simons Town is not that far from Cape Town. In the past we combined a trip to the Cape and came back via the Penguin colony. The colony is right at the roadside, you park (taking care not to squash any penguins, then go and see them). Depending on the time of year, you may actually want to spend some time on the public beach, where the penguins will actually be swimming next to you.

2. It might be nice to see a different area. Last year we combined 5 at MM, with 4 at Makanyane (principally for dogs, though the potential for Brown Hyena (which no one ever sees) and Black rhino (more frequently seen) were also important.

3. It depends, the area is large and some places are a long distance by road. To go from Mala Mala to Sabi Sabi for example would take almost an hour.

4. The MM scheduled SAA flight gets you back too late for the Federated flight to Madikwe. We opted for a road transfer and arrived Makanyane around 5pm. This meant we missed a drive, but with four days there we were ok. A Spotted Eagle Owl came right to our room and perched outside so I was happy anyway.
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NapaMatt, I remember your photos of that trip.

Search this Thread