Search

camcorders in egypt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camcorders in egypt

I'm travelling to Egypt in Nov. and wonder if anyone can tell me their experience of using camcorders there. I understand from some of the guide books that video use is forbidden at the monuments or a fee is charged. Is is worth it to carry the camcorder or should I stick with the camera? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:59 AM
sandi

Yes, there are fees for use of camcorders in some places and at others they can't be used at all.

Go with a camera or two. Even with cameras, at the tombs in the Valley of Kings & Queens you have to buy a "camera ticket" (very inexpensive about $1) which allow you to take pictures in 3-tombs - and the guards watch you very carefully and constantly check that you have a ticket. The VofK&Q was the only place we had this situation.

Otherwise, no problems using cameras, but be sure you have plastic bag and brushes to clean lenses. The sand can be a problem if there is lots of wind - but a good camera case will serve the same purpose.

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:44 AM

My son brought his camcorder with us to Egypt and hardly used it at all. The advantage to a camera over a camcorder is when cameras were not allowed, it was easier to just stuff it into a small bag - they did not seem to mind that, but were very intense about forbidding photos, especially flash in some places. One of my kids forgot to turn the flash off on his camera and he was firmly warned by the guards.

Bring several cameras - or a real camera and a bunch of disposable ones if that is a problem. You certainly don't want to risk one malfunctioning or losing one on a trip like this.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks Sandi and Gail for your feedback..helps a lot to know the situation before packing.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:20 AM

hi torgirl, u can take ur camcorder as there will be alot of places worth to be depicted not only the pharoanic places.
u r welcome 2 egypt.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:06 AM

hello, torgirl. depends on what part of Egypt you'll be seeing. My husband took 3 hours of video on our 17-days in Egypt, and that's at places that did not require video fees. As I recall, the monuments we stopped at on the Nile cruise were all open to photography - free. The VofK/VofQ tombs did require additional permits, no flush though. At the pyramids, no video cameras; photography was ok and encouraged by the guards inside for a little baksheesh.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:28 AM
Anubis

By all means take your camcorder. Most places don't charge to use them. As a general rule temples are free but you must pay to use them in tombs. Egypt is one of the most photogenic places you'll encounter. You'll regret it if you leave it at home.

If you happen to have one of the digital models that will discreetly fit in your pocket, and you are adventuresome, you can get pictures that none of your friends will have. Don't try this in the great pyramid, there are too many guards, and lighting is very poor inside; however, I got some great shots in tombs in the VoK and was only caught once. Ifyou're ready with baksheesh, you can get away with it.