SA Itinerary - March/April 2007

Oct 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

SA Itinerary - March/April 2007

Hi, I am looking for some guidance. I have booked flights for our trip next year to SA but haven't yet filled in the itinerary. Am thinking of something like this:

Land in Cape Town
4 nights Cape Town (V&A Hotel)
2 nights Franschhoek (Cabriere or Klein Oliphants Hoek)
2 nights Addo (Hitgeheim)
3 nights Shamwari (Riverdene)
Fly from PE to Durban to spend 2 nights with my aunt & uncle (not seen them for 40 years!)
Fly from Durban to Joburg (flight home to London is booked out of Joburg).

My dad is suggesting that we drop a night in Addo or Shamwari in favour of an extra night in Durban. OR could we do this:

Land in Cape Town
4 nights Cape Town (V&A Hotel)
2 nights Franschhoek (Cabriere or Klein Oliphants Hoek)
3 nights Knysna (Graywood Hotel)
2 nights Addo (Hitgeheim)
Fly from PE to Durban to spend 2 nights with my aunt & uncle (not seen them for 40 years!)
Drive to Phinda and spend 3 nights on Safari there
Drive back to Durban OR could we drive to Joburg from Phinda?
Fly from Durban to Joburg (then on to London)

Any views? I really want to do a safari as we did our first one last year (honeymoon) in Selous Game Reserve and absolutely loved it. Any opinions on the choice of accom? The flights were practically free (on air miles) and so I don't mind spending a bit extra on hotels.
Is Addo worth a 2 night stay?

Thanks in advance
Oct 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Oops I can't seem to edit my post and I missed the 3 night Knysna stay from the first itinerary!
Oct 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
santharamhari

rosieh,

Hi! I just want to say...Shamwari and Phinda would be really different from your visit to Selous. Both in terms of size of the reserves and the wilderness feel of it.......

Hari

Oct 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Hi there
Would definitely do PHinda and not Shamwari and that is just a personal opinion...They are both beautiful but I feel the game is better at Phinda. Yes it is possible to drive from Phinda to Johannesburg, and quite safe. Quite a long drive, about 7 hours as it is 552 kms.If you do choose Phinda, there are a few lodges to choose from and my personal favourite is Phinda Vlei...If you need any more info feel free to ask, am actually in Durban.
Peggylou
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.

Hari - having done a bit of research already, I am not expecting anything like Selous.... much as we loved it there, I don't think we'll replicate it in SA. The safari isn't the main focus of our holiday, but whilst we're in SA it seems daft not to incorporate one!

Peggylou - is it worth spending 3 nights in Durban? My uncle lives about 40km inland but I don't know where exactly. I have to make contact and discuss all of this with him, I guess! Where could/should we spend less time in order to get an extra night in Kwazulu-Natal area???

We haven't booked any internal flights yet so still flexible on what we do with our time.

Phinda Vlei looks wonderful. I was thinking of going for the least expensive option. Or - and here's another choice/dilemna - do we cut costs on our other accom in order to get the most luxurious safari accom??

So many decisions! LOL!
Oct 13th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Hi there
Well to be honest I am a little biased as I live in Durban, but I think it depends exactly where your Uncle lives..I think if you are out of town maybe spend 2 nights with them and 1 in Durban on your way to Phinda.. By the way there are other game lodges in the Hluhluwe area, Amakhosi and also Mkuze Falls Lodge and both are very nice. I will be honest and say that the game experience at Phinda is probably the best and I think it is worth it..
I mentioned you could drive from Phinda to Johannesburg without coming back to Durban but spoke to someone today and they said the road is not great as they seem to be doing road works..Maybe have that night in Durban on your way to Johannesburg after PHinda. You will only leave Phinda at about 1100 as you do the morning game drive and then come back to the lodge for breakfast so I think it is a good idea to spend a night in Durban on your way back to JNB.
Lots of decisions to make!!!!
Oct 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Since nobody else has yet said it, let me be the first to suggest that you shelve the 5 combined nights between Addo and Shamwari and instead visit the Sabi Sand Game Reserve where you will find South Africa's best gameviewing. Or to accomodate your father, four nights in the Sabi Sand would also work well if all four nights were spent at the same lodge.

Here are just a few suggestions:

www.sabisabi.com
www.malamala.tv
www.singita.com
www.ccafrica.com (for their Exeter lodges)
www.simbambiligamelodge.co.za
www.djuma.co.za

Also, I would probably do the order differently, starting out in Durban (why not get the jetlag out of the way while visiting with distant relatives?), moving onto Cape Town & Cape Winelands and then finishing up with what will prove to be the highlight of your South African holiday, the Sabi Sand Game Reserve?

Finally, why the V&A Hotel? You may be better off with the Commodore or even the Bay Hotel, both hotels in the same price range. For a little bit more you could upgrade to the Table Bay Hotel which seems much nicer to me than the V&A Hotel.
Oct 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Rocco - thanks for your ideas, which I will consider.
To be honest, we started out as adding in an Eastern Cape safari as it was easy to do/convenient to where we were driving. Now I dig into it, maybe we should think more carefully about the safari element, although it will add extra travel legs/cost. Probably worth it!

With regards V&A, it gets good reviews and the price is reasonable. Not keen to add cost in CT - if we're going to spend more than the original quote it will be on safari lodge.

Hmmm... maybe if we'd thought this through properly we could have flown into Joburg and then down to Durban to start our trip there.

I appreciate the advice here.... many thanks to all.