SA - Hotels in / near Pretoria

Mar 30th, 2001, 01:03 AM
Pauline

SA - Hotels in / near Pretoria

As part of our South African trip next month, my husband and I are flying from Port Elizabeth into Jo'burg mid-afternoon, and driving to a game lodge in Madikwe the next day. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel to stay the night we fly in? I was thinking in or around Pretoria might be a good location, to do some sightseeing there. We are looking for a good quality hotel or guest-house, preferably with a decent restaurant! Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Pauline.

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:22 AM
local

Hi Pauline

You may wish to try any of the following hotels:

The Sheraton - across the street from the Union Buildings
The Holiday Inn Garden Court - Hatfield
The Holiday Inn - Pretoria (also close to the Union Buildings)
The Court Classic
The Villa Via

If you do not want to eat at the hotel, try the Boston BBQ in Lynnwood Road where they have a buffet supper of about 120 dishes. However, there are many good restaurants in Pretoria such as The Dros in Pretorius Street (not far from the Hatfield Garden Court); Camelot in Centurion; The Mug & Bean in Menlyn Park; Villa San Giovanni (Italian restaurant) at the Wonderboom Airport; the Loftus Restaurant inside the Loftus Versfeld rugby stadium, etc, etc.

If you only have the afternoon to see Pretoria, I would recommend a visit to the Union Buildings (also in the evening for a view over Pretoria by night but then get somebody to take you there because it is not safe then) and the Voortrekker Monument (go there first due to the time constraints). Also Church Square if you have time left (be careful of pickpockets).

Search this Thread