SA a safe country to visit?

Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:17 PM
Eze

SA a safe country to visit?

Hi again!
I've just posted a message but it's being displayed at the "general" africa forum and I wanted it to be displayed in "South Africa"
My question is basically if it's safe enough to walk around the major cities (CT, Port Eliz., Durban, Johann, etc) and if it's safe to rent a car to drive along the garden route and then from Johann. to Kruger NP.
I'll appreciate any comments!

Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:13 PM
Alan

I am afraid that you would be STRONGLY advised NOT to walk around major cities - either day or night time. The chances of you being violently mugged are very high! Cape Town being an exception during the day if you stick to tourist areas _ Greenmarket Square etc. But Not at Night!
However, renting a car and doing the Garden Route and Kruger is ok, but don't have luggage visable, and don't stop anywhere other than well populated places - ie don't stop to look at African Art being sold at the roadside in the middle of nowhere.

Nov 28th, 2000, 07:13 AM
USFlyer

I agree with Alan. I was in RSA about a year ago and felt that Cape Town was fine but downtown Johannesburg was terrible. Like being in a third world african slum. I drove through Jo'burg and felt that if I had got out of my car I would have been mugged. Basically, there were no other whites on the street which gives you the picture.
The garden route is great! You''l have a lot of fun.

Jan 8th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Riche

Hi again EZE
The answers to your questions are YES YES YES
Write to me if I can assist
Riche

Jan 8th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Anna

Eze

It's about 3 year's since we went to South Africa and city-wise, weonly really spent time in Capetown. While we did not walk everywhere, we did feel safe on foot. We took the usual precautions (read the map before leaving our hotel, checked that we would not be travelling through any no-go areas etc). However, I was not that keen on doing the same thing in Jo-burg (but was happy to walk around shopping malls).

We drove along the Garden Route and from Jo-Burg to Kruger without a problem. I am not denying that there is violence in South Africa, but had we listened to half of the scare stories, we would never have gone, and would have missed a wonderful holiday!

Search this Thread