Reload this Page >

Gibraltar day trip from Tangier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 1998, 08:37 PM
Bruce Frumkin

We are planning a 16 night trip to Morroco in June. We plan on spending three nights in Tangier but only if we can take a day trip to Gibraltar. How easy is this to do. Are there tour companies in Tangier that arrange such a trip?

I know that Tangier is not a highlight of Morrocco but our two week guided tour will cover the imperial cities, the desert region, and mountain areas and villages (Isram Tours). I heard they are a good company. The first three nights will be on our own and we thought going to Gibraltar would be a change of pace. Any suggestions.

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 07:02 AM
George holt

Tangier's not that bad. It was better than Casablanca, a bit of a disappointment to find that Rick's Bar was just fiction . Tangier has an old quarter with all the souks and things you expect of a Morrocan old quarter. As I recall it had quite a nice sandy beach (no not the Sahara!) and a nice little toy soldier and militaria museum you might recognise from a James Bond film.

Old Apr 26th, 1998, 07:38 AM
Doug Fricke

We will be visiting Tangier for only a half-day from Tarifa and would like recommendations for a good expensive Moroccan restaurant.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 10:08 AM
Michel

I agree with George, and prefer Tangier to (for example) Casa or Rabat. Spend time in the souks, have a mint tea at an outdoor café and just watch the world go by... As far as Gibraltar goes, you could take the ferry to Algeciras (Spain), then cross over. Personally, Gibraltar was a disappointment. There really isn't much to see or do (one man's opinion). Enjoy your trip, and don't leave out Marrakech.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 02:19 AM
James

Gibraltar is a facinating place. It is a unique and spectacular place. Incredible history, great architecture and amazing geography....However, it makes few concessions to tourists and if you are looking for a 'tourist attraction' then it may appear dirty and run-down. Personnally I loved the place and would recommend going. There really are very few places like this left. Catch the ferry to Algeciras and then go to La Linea on the boarder and walk across (ferry - 2hrs + Algeciras to La Linea - 40mins). Where else in the world do you have to walk across the Airport runway to get into a country?