morocco - what would you do w 3 xtra days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrive from US to Casablanca, to Rabat, ( sleep there ), to Fes- 1 1/2 days ( stop in Volubilis & Meknes ) off to Erg Chebbi ( 3 day desert trip ), drive thru Alnif, stay at Skoura Oasis, then to Demnate over night, to Marrakech for 2 days....my travel friend then flies back to US. I now have 3 days...

This Sept / Oct

Do I want to go spend some alone time and chill in Essaouira?

( my return flight is out of Marrakech )

A friend suggested I fly to Torremolinos,Spain...

I am leaning towards Essaouira. I value all of your opinions...Thank You, Max
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I recommend Essaouria if you are into the seaside (Morocco with Portugese inlfuences, windsurfing, limited nightlife) or Tafraoute if you want something very Moroccan but off the beaten path (Berber culture, amazing rock outcroppings, different desert than Erg Chebbi). Or you can stay in Marrakech and do several day trips (1 day to Ourika Valley, 1 day to Essaouira, 1 to Tinmal for example). Don't bother with Spain this trip; you will spend most of your vacation just trying to coordinate the transporation between Marrakech and Torremolinos.
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will look into the places you suggested and make some decisions. So just a day trip will be enuf for Essaouira?

I do like off the beaten path adventures- thank you

I do not need night life as I am 50 ish female.

I am eliminating Spain

Thanks so much, max
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Our family spent three days in Essaouira at Christmastime two years ago and absolutely loved the city and the area. The city is picturesque complete with a cute harbor and great beaches (super fresh seafood that they grill on the spot after you pick it)! There is the old souk that has great deals and hammans along with great shopping in the newer area and less expensive prices than Fez or Marrakech.
Seriously,Essaouria was the highlight of our two week self drive tour of Morocco.It is a wonderful city to walk around in as it is compact,safe and there is always something new around the next corner.You will not be disappointed in extra time there! Have fun-
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:05 PM

If you can,go just south out of town to see the "goats in the argan trees"-amazing!
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you dutyfree....how do I get to the 'goats?' do I need to hire a driver or are there other means?

Max
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM

We had a rental car but I am sure that you could take a cab as it isn't that far. The argan tree is known around Essaouria for its oil and it highly regarded (expensive). In olden times, they used to have the goats eat the argan nuts and have it process through their system to get the oil-now it is done by machine but the goats have learned to climb the trees and its quite funny to see. There is even a calendar I buy every year in London of nothing but "goats in the trees".

There is a huge beach (great for walking and beachcombing) south of the main town of Essaouria with several wonderful beachy restaurants that had great views of the ocean and food.
Several famous people like the singer Cat Stevens actually visited Essaouria and ended up living there for several years because of its beauty-you will love it!
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM

http://www.villa-maroc.com/

stay at this lovely riad in the heart of Essaouira. We loved it. Just steps from the harbor and all major sites in the town. Rooftop terrace with great views of the Atlantic and the busy little harbor. Be sure to visit the very plain Orson Welles monument..this is where he shot the flick Othello..the old rampsrts, canns and all, are very much in evidence.
stu
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM

should be"ramparts" and "cannon"...but I guess you figured that out.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Tower...just booked 5 nights at Villa Marco!!!!!
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Maroc...not Marco
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Maxine...enjoy. Try Chez Sam's harbor resto..a good one. and an old timer. He has a cheese shrimp dish that is outstanding.
Here below are some pics including Erg Chebbi and a few from Essaouira, Fes, Marrakech, the gorges, the Dades river and the Algerian border region. The map shows the route I drove around the country.

stu
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Morocco#

Max....these aren't very good,,but I'm in process of taking my scanned pics and separating them into single pics. I've done it for most countries but not yet for Morooco...you will see the sea wall and ramparts and the Orson Welles plaque..others are all in other parts of the country you may also be visiting.
stu
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Stu....so great, love the photos!!! Thank you so much I am getting psyched. I will try Chez Sam's. if you happen to think of anything else please let me know.

Max
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Hey Max, be very interested in how you are getting from town to town. I am at the start of planning a trip during the same time frame, and trying to decide on cities, hotels etc..can you share some of your research? Thanks Sharon
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kris....

I have chosen, from this sites recommendations, a gentleman who has helped me make an itinerary with my specifications. We ( 2 women in their 50's) have decided to travel with a private driver who I am guaranteed - English speaking, in an A/C car, guides thru some of the markets as they can be a bit challenging, and we don't have to deal much with the hassles of 'not knowing.' It gives us the freedom of flexibility if we want to stop here or make one place a shorter stay if we want....

He has been accommodating as we want to do somethings that were not on his first itinerary. He wants to make this experience one we all will be happy with. He has steered me in a direction I had questions about and educated me to make the right decisions...

He has been in constant email and I get a good feel from him...

[email protected]

please if you write him mention my name...can't hurt!

So ..we get from town to town by car!!!! I am continuing on after my travel friend returns to the US. I plan to go to Essaouira for 4 days solo. I planed that myself but needed Mark for transportation to and from there.

Use this site ask questions.....Max
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks Max..appreciate your response. I have heard of Mark and will definitely contact him.