Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   S.A., Zim, and Bots itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/s-a-zim-and-bots-itinerary-599900/)

polinsky Mar 16th, 2006 08:25 PM

S.A., Zim, and Bots itinerary

Hi there,

My dad is taking me to Africa! I am so looking forward to our trip, but it seems our plans have changed. I don't think my dad changed them without telling me, but today I received a different itinerary from the travel agent than the original one. I haven't had a chance yet to look into the new places.

We both just want to get to see lots of game. Birds aren't of much interest to us. An opportuntiy for water activites would be nice, but not paramount. We are looking for a posh experience, too.

Original plans:
Capetown 3 nights (Welgelegen)
Vic Falls 2 nights (Royal Livingstone)
Safaris! :
Botswanna 2 nights (Chobe Chilwero)
2 nights (Nxabega)
2 nights (Sandibe)

Itinerary I received in the mail today:
Capetown 3 nights (Welgelegen)
Vic Falls 1 night (The River Club)
Safaris! :
Botswanna 3 nights (Duba Plains)
2 nights (Nxabega)
2 nights (Baines Camp) and Moremi Wildlife Reserve - elephant activity (hmmm?)

What do you think?? Is the second itinerary better, worse, about the same?

I so look forward to all your opinions. If it is what we hoped we should have a fabulous report available upon our return!

Karen

santharamhari Mar 16th, 2006 09:29 PM

Hi! you didnt mention what month your travel plans are for.......

Of the plan 2, particularly for big game and posh experiences, i would cancel Nxabega and Baines and just go to Mombo camp (subject to availability). 4 nights there, you are going to see fabulous big game.......Duba plains you are going to see lots of lions and buffalo.......but wont hv the variety of predators.

Or you could do 4 nights Lebala and 3 nights Mombo.

Maybe, others could add their inputs.....

Hari

polinsky Mar 17th, 2006 06:04 AM

Thanks Hari,

We are leaving in a few weeks! I leave California on March 31 and together we leave NY on the April 1. We return on April 14, so it's not as long as we'd wish, but we're so happy to get to go at all!

I would presume it's too late to make changes now as availability will be limited.

Karen

santharamhari Mar 17th, 2006 06:30 AM

Hi! It would still be not the busiest time of the year, so if i were you i would call my travel agent asap to chk on availability.

Hari

polinsky Mar 17th, 2006 09:15 AM

Hi Hari,

First off, thank you so much for helping me with this plan.

What do you think the price dirrerential would be between Nxabega and/or Baines and Mombo? I suppose I ought to look at a map and see if we'd be hitting enough different areas, as my father wants.

I did find out that he planned these changes. I think he specifically chose Baines so we can go to an elephant activity place in Moremi (where you interact with them?

I don't want to ask him to look into something that would be more expensive. I feel so lucky to be going in the first place. I just want to be under the African sky!

I didn't realize it was okay to chage your itinerary until I just read that someone changed his lots before he went.

Karen

thit_cho Mar 17th, 2006 09:30 AM

The second itinerary is very nice. Lots of people constantly change their itineraries, but they are, in my view, to a large extent, drawing very fine distinctions to find meaningful differences. Mombo is very, very expensive, and while I haven't stayed there, I have friends that have, and I don't think the difference in game viewing justifies the price as compared to other Wilderness camps that I have stayed in. The increased price is due to the 6-paw status, for which you get a separate sitting room, and if you're going to Africa to sit in a sitting room, you have interests much different than mine (ie, game viewing). The animals move all over the place, and you'll see plenty in your lodges.

santharamhari Mar 17th, 2006 07:38 PM

Hi! Only reason i mentioned Mombo is because, you wanted good big game viewing with a posh experience. Nothing matches Mombo in terms of big game and the posh experience.

However, there is a big price tag for Mombo....