Rwandan gorilla twins turn 1 in May

Feb 1st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Rwandan gorilla twins turn 1 in May

Thinking of seeing the gorillas in Rwanda sometime soon? Twins born to a mother in the Suza group turn 1 in May. They'll still be hanging onto Mom for another 6+ months or so, presenting a unique sight of a mother cuddling two babies.

On two Suza group visits last July, Mom, twins (7 weeks old at the time) and a hovering four year old sister were relaxed and willing to be observed. They appeared to be posing for a family portrait, in fact, on my first visit. Once the babies are about one and a half years old they will be romping around and not hanging onto Mom as much. Until then it's a unique window of opportunity to glimpse some gorilla history, with a little luck of course. Wish I could return for their first birthday.
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM

Growing up in South Africa and spending a good part of my life in East Africa, no wildlife experience has touched me so deeply than seeing the gorillas up close (Bwindi in my case).

Those human eyes and the determination to survive despite the shrinking jungle and chaos that surrounds them just blew me away. I still remember every minute of my hour with them.

Don't you agree?
Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:35 AM

atravelynn-
Thanks for the heads up on the little ones' birthday. I'll be in both Rwanda and Uganda this month and hopefully will be able to spend some time with the Suza group and the new twins.

I'll pass on my regards for you and wish them an early happy birthday from all us fodorites.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:47 AM

Hi, I'm getting ready for a Uganda trip in early June.This will be a first for me. This type of safari. Looking forward to Trekking for the Gorillas & Chimps. Thanks for your story.
David

Search this Thread