Rwanda Photos

Nov 10th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Rwanda Photos

For those of you who like browsing photos then please feel free to take a look at my favourite photographs from a recent trip to Rwanda. (& Zanzibar)

http://www.colin-julie.com/rwanda00.htm

We had an amazing experience in this most beautiful of countries.
Nov 10th, 2011, 08:23 AM

where did you see the chimps??
Nov 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Very cool pictures! Now I want to go! Where's the report?
Nov 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Your pictures are wonderful
Nov 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM

What a nice gallery. I loved visiting Rwanda.
Nov 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM

Wow! What amazing pictures---thanks for sharing!!!
Please explain the one that looked like you were inside a basket --where and what was that?

I am determined to go to Rwanda next year--never been there but something just tells me this is where I want to go. The original draw was to see the gorillas. Your picutures showed me there is so much more....please share any and all information that would be helpful for planning this journey.

Is this a trip you arranged yourself or with a tour company? Where did you stay? Anything you would do or not do if you had it to do all over again?
Nov 11th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi gatoralarge

we saw the chimps at Nyungwe Forest. There's no guarantee of seeing them so we felt very fortunate to have an hour in their company.
Nov 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Femi

I'm busy writing up the trip report as we speak. Although it may take some time!

I'll post it here once I've finished.
Nov 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you DJcat & Leely2. I'm glad you liked the phots.
Nov 11th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi live_aloha

you captured the King's Palace at Nyanza perfectly. It was just like being inside a basket!!

We used a company called Primate Safaris which I would whole heartedly recommend. Our driver/guide was called Eric and was fantastic.

We stayed in Kigali for 1 night at the Laico Umubano hotel which was fine. Rooms a bit dated but great food and friendly staff. We visited the genocide memorial which was very informative. As disturbing as it was I feel it shouldn't be missed.

We then drove to Nyungwe Forest, stopping along the way at the King's Palace in Nyanza, which was fascinating and then National Museum in Butare, which was a little less fascinating.

We stayed for 2 nights at the Nyungwe Forest lodge which was a stunning hotel in the middle of a tea plantation. We did the chimp trek the following day. They almost rivalled the gorillas for their sheer wow factor.

From Nyungwe we then drove up country through stunning scenery along the side of Lake Kivu, through Kibuye to Gisenyi where we stayed at the Lake Kivu Serena Hotel

The hotel was fine. Functional and business like but a great location on the shores of Lake Kivu. It even has it's own private "sandy" beach. We stayed here for two nights of R&R.

Moving on we drove up to the volcanoes and near the town of Ruhengeri where we stayed at the amazing Sabinyo Silverback Lodge.

This was our base for the next three nights where we did the gorilla trek to see the Kwitonda group. Words can not capture how special that was.

We also did a Golden Monkey walk which was fun.

The "tour" was well paced with travelling days, trek days and rest days. When we return the only thing we would do different would to try and see more of the country and spend more time in those areas.

I hope you make it to Rwanda next year. It is a trip of a lifetime!
Nov 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Wow, I haven't had time to look through the album yet, but the very first picture grabbed me!
Nov 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Aloha Colin,

Thanks for your response and shared info.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the near future.

Looking forward to your trip report!
Nov 12th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Loved your photos. I looked at the website for Primate Safaris. I saw an 8 day itinerary and one for 4 days. Did you do one of those or have a custom-made one? How long were you in Rwanda? Did you combine it with another country? Definitely interested in more details!
Was it an upscale (expensive) company?
Thanks for sharing.
Nov 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Great photo tour of Rwanda and Zanzibar, Colin, from primates to people to you (I presume) with a starfish.

In case Colin does not get back to you for some time due to his efforts to complete his report, I'll chime in that I used Primate Safaris (based in Rwanda) and was also very happy.

I believe they are more expensive than some of the other budget companies, but very reliable. Their deal for a solo traveler, even going through a US agent, was a good one in comparison to some group trips I investigated.

To give you an idea of the calibur of that Primate guide...on my last Rwanda trip I used a different company (not because of anything bad with Primate, just timing/communications/Uganda connections that I wanted.) But I was in contact with the Primate guide too and he met me at the airport, along with the other company guide. He wanted to be there in case I had any problem upon arrival. He then arranged another get-together for the two of us in PNV, meeting me in the dining room of my hotel so we could catch up on his family, work, etc. What a quality individual!

Some of a trip's expense is in the accommodations. My last trip to Rwanda I stayed at Kinigi Guesthouse at PNV--inexpensive but very nice with a good restaurant. If you used the dormitories with separate communal bathrooms, it would be really cheap. I did not and had my own nice facilities in the room. In Nyungwe I stayed at the the ORTPN Guesthouse, again a nice and inexpensive accommodation with good food, so-so service in a convenient location. There are some newer very lovely Nyungwe lodges now available. There is a guesthouse near the tea factory that would also be an inexpensive option in a great location.

Looking forward to Colin's account.
Nov 15th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

The trip was tailor made but followed a serving suggestion from Primate Safaris. We added a day here and there to set a more relaxing pace. We actually dealt with Audley Travel (Primate Safaris agents in the UK)

Two of the hotels we chose were of world class standard and as they charged an all-inclusive rate it of course made the trip a little bit more expensive. (but worth every penny!)

As for the services of Primate safaris I couldn't recommend them highly enough. They were superb.

We did jet off to the beaches of Zanzibar after Rwanda but that was not arranged with Primate Safaris.
Dec 11th, 2011, 01:17 AM

HI Colin, I hope it is not too late to say how FANTASTIC are your ohotos!!

is there a place where there is a caption? I'm wondering where some of these gorgeous scenic photos were taken? Or should i just ask, referring to the order of a particular photo.

Turns out i have two extra nights on trip to Uganda and Kenya, and wondered if I should use that time for even a brief to Rwanda. Thank you, via your photos, for convincing me it's a god use of time
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi CaliNurse

yes, please just ask. Most of the landscape photos were taken on a trip along Lake Kivu, from Nyungwe Forest, through Gisakura, to Kibuye and onwards to Gisenyi.

The gorillas were of course near Ruhengeri as were the Golden Monkeys. Whilst the Chimps were in Nyungwe Forest.

But please just ask if there are specific photos you would like more info on.
Jul 27th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Search this Thread