Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Rwanda/Kenya itin, help (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/rwanda-kenya-itin-help-675702/)

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 07:20 AM

Rwanda/Kenya itin, help

This is our first real itin. from our agent and already I think it's too much moving around. We are primarily going for the gorilla trekking, have been to Kenya 20yrs ago and really just are interested in the Mara. Since we went to Botswana 4yrs ago, I really want to avoid crowds and have open verhicles. Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks!

1 Nov.-arr. NBO-Giraffe Manor
2 Nov. fly to Sweetwater's-Ol Pajeta Ranch House
3 Nov. Ol Pajeta Ranch House
4 Nov. L. Gov's camp
5 Nov. L. Gov's camp
6 Nov. Olarro camp
7 Nov. Olarro camp
8 Nov. NBO-Serena Hotel
9 Nov. fly to Kigali-drive to Gorilla's Nest
10 Nov. gorilla trek-Gorilla's Nest
11 Nov. gorilla trek-Gorilla's Nest
12 Nov. Kigali-Mille Collines
13 Nov. fly to NBO-connect to 5:15pm flt home

I think I'd also feel better spending the night of the 12th in NBO-MUST be on our flt on the 13th out of NBO.

Thanks.

atravelynn Feb 1st, 2007 08:16 AM

If you are not doing a gorilla trek on Nov. 12, I would not remain in Rwanda.

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 08:53 AM

Thanks Lynn-am trying to work this out logisitically with KQ flts on the 12th. Am going to do 6nts in the Mara, 3 at L.Gov's and 3 someplace else-just don't know where, Cottar's or Olarro, etc?

waynehazle Feb 1st, 2007 10:51 AM

I would use the 12th to see the genocide memorial in Kigali.

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 11:21 AM

Yes, I really would like to see the memorial in Kigali-hope it all works out. Just trying to figure out now which other camp in the Mara to do 3nts at after or before L.Gov.

sandi Feb 1st, 2007 11:45 AM

How are you getting between Little Gov and Olarro? Road or air. They're at different ends of the Mara; one inside the triangle in the west, the other on private lands in the east.

Personally, I wouldn't add a 3rd camp for 1/day only, rather add a day to either of the two you've chosen.

Patty Feb 1st, 2007 11:47 AM

There's a 1:55pm KGL-NBO flight on the 12th. I don't know if that gives you enough time to drive back to Kigali and see the memorial. You could also drive back to Kigali after your trek on the 11th and overnight there instead of at Gorilla's Nest. That would give you the whole morning on the 12th in Kigali.

Did your agent mention why Olarro at that time of year, just curious?

OnlyMeOirish Feb 1st, 2007 12:27 PM

I think Patty's plan of driving back to Kigali on the 11th after the treck would be the best plan AND if you visit a group which isn't too far away on that day then you should have time to visit the Genocide Memorial that day too. One thing though, I wouldn't stay at the Mille Collines (I'm speaking from experience!), either bump for the Intecontinental or I have read Chez Lando is a nice cheaper option.

Imelda

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 01:53 PM

Thanks all and yes, I want to do 3nts at L.Gov's and 3nts elsewhere in the Mara. The transfer between LG and Olaro was by minibus(which I've been trying to avoid!) so I am trying to come up with another camp-any recommendations? We did discuss heading back to Kigali after the 2nd trek but he said not knowing which group we might get and how long a trek it would be, makes that idea chancy. I would like to avoid 3nts at Gorilla's Nest and have already told him def. don't want Milles Collines.

sandi Feb 1st, 2007 02:17 PM

November is one of those months when quite a few of the lux camps are closed. If you want to be on private lands for night drives, try Serian (NW of LG), Saruni (N of LG), Porini Mara (NE of LG). There's always Cottar's, but that's way off in nowhere land (like Olarro).

Haven't been in years, but we enjoyed Sekanani which is in the hills outside the Sekanani gate... small camp, footbridge over a brook between sleeping tents and dining; waiters serving in tux; bathtub in each tent. Very private here. Have no idea of how it stacks up after these years.

One way or another, you'll be paying for the road transfer, the farther away the more you pay. But with all kinds of muck kicking up, especially if wet, you're best in a closed vehicle. We did it in an open vehicle wrapped in wool lined tarps.

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 02:57 PM

Thank you Sandi, I'll check out all of those. Maybe we should just spend more time at L.Govs and an extra night in Rwanda?

moremiles Feb 1st, 2007 03:25 PM

I'm thinking this is what the itinerary should look like-this trip is mainly for Rwanda, we have visited Kenya before, just long ago. I don't want to miss opportunities in Rwanda:

Nov. 1-arrive NBO 2:15 Giraffe Manor
Nov. 2-fly to M Mara L. Gov
Nove 3-MM
Nov. 4 MM
Nov. 5 MM
Nov. 6 MM
Nov. 7th fly to NBO Serena Hotel
Nov. 8th fly to Kigali, city tour
Serena hotel
Nov. 9th drive to Gorilla's Nest
Nov. 10 trekking Gorilla's Nest
Nov. 11th trekking Virunga Lodge
Nov. 12th fly to NBO Serena
Nov. 13th NBO to DXB-LAX

Thank you!

atravelynn Feb 1st, 2007 04:38 PM

Since most of the giraffe action at Giraffe Manor is in the morning, you'll want to stay there when you can linger the next day. Giraffe Manor may be better suited for the end of your trip, when you'll have that time. If you are taking the later flight to the Maasai Mara, then Giraffe Manor upon arrival makes sense.

moremiles Feb 2nd, 2007 11:30 AM

Thanks and I will be mentioning that desire to my agent and now just need to figure out where to spend 5 days in the Mara-L. Gov's being one camp.