Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   rwanda gorrila trek (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/rwanda-gorrila-trek-597945/)

mooky Mar 9th, 2006 09:39 PM

rwanda gorrila trek

We are going to do 2 day gorrilla trek in Sept but a friend worried us today warning of political unrest and also the high altitude causing altitude problems. Has anyone done the trek and able to put us at ease regarding these points. Also seems pretty expensive exercise and were told the permits guides etc and accomadation all adds up.
Any tips for when we trek regarding clothing and what to take? Is it very likely to be hot and wet?
Thanks
Mooky

Lillipets Mar 10th, 2006 03:11 AM

Hello Mooky!
Seeing the gorillas is worth every bit of effort it takes! I was in Rwanda in 2003 and people here thought I was so brave! HA HA! I wasn't in particularly good shape but I visited 2 groups that are usually less of a trek. You can have a porter carry your backpack. A walking stick will help too. Be sure you have sturdy canvas gardening type gloves because you'll be grabbing vines, branches, etc. and there are lots of pokey things. Whatever you do.....go! It will be worth whatever you have to do to get there.
Lily

cybor Mar 10th, 2006 03:27 AM

Hi Mooky,
I haven't been, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt and defer to others who have been or are in the know about the area.

Have your friends giving their dire predictions been to Rwanda >:)?

My 2 cents;
Sherry

thit_cho Mar 10th, 2006 05:43 AM

Let me guess -- your worried friend has never been to Rwanda. If that's the case, their views are worthless, particularly because they are wrong. The country is safe, and there are no altitude concerns when visiting the gorillas. Take clothes that you don't mind dirtying. It likely to be wet, but its not that hot.

waynehazle Mar 10th, 2006 07:54 AM

http://www.waynehazle.com/eastafrica/rwanda/index.htm

That picture alone made it worth my time in Rwanda. I was no more than 15 feet away.

I was there in October. I felt safer in Rwanda than I did in Kenya and Tanzania. GO GO GO to see the gorillas! There is no unrest.

I do get affected by altitude, I nearly passed out in Cuzco, on the way to Machu Picchu. Climbing in PNV in EASY compared to that.

Yes, it is expensive $350 for the permit, a few bucks to tip porters and guides and you only see them for 1 hour. But you are seeing one of the most glorious sights on earth. There are only 300 or so left in the world. Anyone can ride in a jeep and see a lion ;) but when consider going out to see the gorillas part of joining a rare and exclusive club :)

It is likely to be cold and wet. You need a rain jacket, gloves and thick sweater, boots.

atravelynn Mar 10th, 2006 10:01 AM

Political unrest--nothing heating up lately. It is Kenya with the State Dept warning, not Rwanda. (There were some border problems with DRC when I was there in Aug 2004, but I would not have known it except for reading AllAfrica.com when I got home.) Go with a reputable operator and you'll be fine.

Altitude--In Sept. you'll be glad you are a little higher up because it will be so much cooler. Altitude was not a factor at all for me.

Expensive--Yes, but highly worth it.

Rain gear, long sleeves and gloves for stinging nettles. Water bottle on your person so you can drink anytime you wish.

Does the friend have your best interests at heart or is your friend jealous? Has your friend been there or nearby?

Have a good trip!

mooky Mar 12th, 2006 12:13 AM

Thank you so much to all of you that replied and given valuable advice. Lillipets the gloves are a great tip. We bit the bullet and have paid our deposit for mid Sept

jules39 Mar 13th, 2006 10:38 AM

mooky great that you have booked. Having been to a few different forests with stinging nettles I am planning on going and getting some thick leather garden gloves for when we go gorilla tracking. (Hope to make a deposit in the next few weeks!)
J