RV camping for extended stay in South Africa?

Jan 7th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

RV camping for extended stay in South Africa?

I usually post in the Europe section ( except Morocco) as that is where we have spent the last 16 months traveling on our multi year open ended trip around the world.

Now we are looking into info about shipping our RV to south Africa next year ( for as long as we can legally do that) and then shipping it onto South America.

We are Americans so I do not even know what I need with visa info yet, but only recently heard that RV camping is great there from someone who visited there.

Anyone here got any information, experience on & in that? Or anything else that is important for me to know or best sources to research such a trip online?

We travel as a family with a child that has just turned 7, so she will be 8 by the time we go. Our RV was bought in Europe and we have Holland plates etc and they will help us with the needed insurance there.

Obviously safety is something that is important to us and we would like to do a Safari as well while there as well as visit Capetown, wine country etc.

Thanks in advance!!

www.soultravelers3.com
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Out of curiosity, what would it cost to ship the RV to Africa?
Guess I'm thinking of like South Africa. That is, not ferry it to Morocco/Egypt then drive down to Capetown.

regards - tom
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I do not know yet what it costs. I do know about a family of 4 from France that traveled the world for four years on a budget of 1500 euros a month including air fares and shipping RV.

They are listed on my website & it is partly where I got the idea of shipping our RV to different continents.

We rather enjoyed all of our all night ferries this past year from places like Barcelona to Spain and Venice to Athens, Italy to Croatia etc.

We have been all over, yet used up very few miles on our camper.

Still trying to get the details.
Jan 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM

The devil is in the details.

regards - tom
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Indeed! I do know many who have shipped RV's to various continents and found it well worth it and cheaper than the alternative.

So we will see!
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

I found out a few more details, seems it will cost me around 2000 euros to ship it and it is easy to go to several countries nearby in Africa when the visa runs out and reapply to South Africa if I want to stay longer than 3 months in this area.

I have also found vehicle insurance for south africa so it sounds really doable. Heck, I have found Europeans who have shipped huge RV's to Viet Nam without problems, so South Africa is sounding easier by the moment. lol!

Now I have to check on the details for South America. I do know it is really cheap to ship it from Ecuador to Panama and LOTS of people have taken huge RV's from the U.S down to Panama.