Rustic Tent Camps/Walking Safari

Mar 5th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Rustic Tent Camps/Walking Safari

Looking at trying to do Masai Maraa August 2006 and maybe Ngorongo Crater in lodges, suggestions for more rustic camps/walking safaris that would work well with this itinerary. Looking for honeymoon stars and bush sounds/sights. Thanks in advance.
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure if you're looking for rustic camps/walking safaris in the Mara/Ngorongoro areas or somewhere else that would complement your itinerary.

Kicheche camp north of the Mara reserve is a rustic bush camp that offers an overnight fly camp/walking option. You could split your stay between here and another location inside the reserve. I have some pics of the main camp, fly camp and surrounding area in this album (#167-208) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-r5e7ji

I believe Oliver's camp in Tarangire offers walking safaris and a fly camp option and would work well into a driving itinerary between Arusha and Ngorongoro crater - www.oliverscamp.com

There are also hikes available to other craters in the Ngorongoro conservation area, but I think these are more for scenery than viewing game.

Does this mean you've decided on East Africa?
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:30 AM

I forgot to mention that August is high season in East Africa and accomodation space will be tight, particularly at the locations you've chosen so I'm not sure whether any of these places will have availability at this point.
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Lake Manyara has started some walking options.
Kirurumu-near Lake Manyara
http://www.naturalhighsafaris.com/sa.../kirurumu.html

Lake Manyara Tree Lodge
http://www.wildlifeafrica.co.za/manyara.html

In the Mara, camps outside of the park often offer walks.

As Patty suggests, don't delay. August is filling fast!
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Hi Korenwijn:

Basecamp Masai Mara has walking safaris and a fly camp Dorobo Camp. http://www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/en

Mar 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, focused on East Africa per advice of everyone. Questions:
1. is there an agent/travel firm one can suggest to use?
2. can one get from camp to camp readily? say Kicheche to Kichwa Tembo to Oliver's Camp to Ngorongo Crater?
3. Is there a camp/lodge in Masai Maraa that is more likely located for migration (I know animals unpredictable but looks like camps are all over the park) or is everything within game drive distance?
4. are all places similar for night drives, viewing etc.?
5. What don't I know that I should be thinking about?
6. honeymoon location is surprise - fiance likes hiking and marathons - Kilimanjaro climb is not too sheer drops etc. for minor fear of heights is it? maybe not a good surprise
Thanks for all help, all your comments are truly appreciated
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:21 AM

Hi
We are going to the Mara this august and have been planning it for some time. We have found that a number of the camps are already full and have wait lists.
Kicheche is offering ony fly in rates for July/august and is wait listing people now.
Kichwa tembo is also very full so i suggest you ask an agent to check availability of any camps you are interseted in
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:19 AM
sandi

Surprising as it seems at this time, many of the places - lodges or camps - in both countries, especially Kenya, are already booked. And this can be those in the budget, mid-range or high-end properties.

Transport between locations in either country are best done thru your tour operator/outfitter. With your own guide/vehicle this is easily done. If you fly-in to areas, you will have the use of guide/vehicle of the particular lodge or camp visiting and if moving withing an area, i.e., from one camp to another in the Mara and having flown-in, there will be a transfer fee. Some of these can be hefty for a one-way transfer.

1) What type of budget are you working with;
2) for how many days total both countries;
3) are you considering any beach time at the conclusion for some R&R?
4) walking safaris can be arranged as many camps, but how much walking? or actual trekking?

For "stars" as those regulars here know, I think Starbeds at Loisaba is one of the most romantic of places. A bit off the well traveled route, but a pleasant surprise.

A lot will also depend on which airport you arrive at and from where you depart. You can commence in Tanzania, arriving Kilimanjaro (JRO) - do the Tanzania stops - Tarangire and Ngorongoro; then head to Nairobi (NBO) Kenya. Here you can visit the Masai Mara only, or also take in Samburu, Laikipia - again, how much time, and what budget beause August is high-season in both countries, with matching prices.

Do you already have an outfitter? If not, get one quickly and have whomever work up an itinerary for you. Be sure they check availability for you. And be ready to make a decision quickly so you don't loose space.

Keep us posted.

Mar 6th, 2006, 06:50 AM

korenwijn

To see the locations of the Mara camps vs. the migration crossing areas, look at my maps here:

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimarai.htm

It is generally better to stay in the left (western) half of the greater Masai Mara.

Night drives can only be done outside the Masai Mara and Tarangire. On my map I indicate the better areas for night drives in the Mara.

It is easy to get from camp to camp with an area - for example in the greater Masai Mara the camps will transfer you to the next camp if you arrange this beforehand or upon arrival.

There are no death-defying drops on the Kilimanjaro hike! Fear of heights will not be a problem.

Search this Thread