Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt 2005. CoolMax or microfiber? What's the difference.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:19 PM
kp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a female looking to buy clothing for a trip to Egypt and Jordan. Due to the synthetics used in microfiber is it cool enough for the temperatures we'll find? Are CoolMax garments wrinkle resistant and easy to care for? Is there any difference?
The reason for needing new outfits is that on prior trips I've always used local laundry services. The hot water and detergent was very hard on clothes and I still needed to iron! I'd like to be able to wash things out in our room, have them dry by morning, and not have to iron! Am I on the right track with Coolmax and microfiber? Is there something better for ease of care and comfort? I live in a small town so there aren't many shopping options--I'll need to catalog shop. Thanks for all advice.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I am also going to Egypt soon. I have been wondering if a coolmax will be cool enough also.

I do have a couple of cool max tees, and they don't winkle much if at all. I am thinking, the mico fiber, would be to hot for Egypt. Most of the recommendations, I have seen say, cotton is best for Egypt.

When I took a trip to South Africa I also washed in my room. Had to use a dual voltage streamer to get the winkles out of some of my clothes.I think that might be the way I will go this time to. The little steamer I have doesn't weigh as much as a small travel iron. I picked it up at a Target store.

Hope that helps a little. I to would love to hear others thoughts on this.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM

i have not been to egypt- but i have been to a lot of hot places: india, africa, singapore etc. and here is what i have found:

1. cool max can defnitely vary in performance in terms of how it is woven into the fabric. some items are good, others bad. i found stretchy cool max items to be very BAD for travel. Sports bras did not dry quickly enough.

2. cool max in lightweight "zip off" pants (parachute material feel) was GREAT - both cool and lightweight.

3. LINEN despite the wrinkle factor has always been the most rewarding for me. it is always cool, lighter than cotton and much faster to dry. when you have a long sleeved linen top and skirt you still look respectable, but also fashionable. if you have no access to an iron, try rolling the skirts to pack.

4.RAYON is very hot and not recommended in the daytime, but a dress made of it in a dark color will always be handy at night as it is very fast drying (overnight) and lightweight for packing.

i hope this helps in some way. everyone is different. these things have worked for me. i'm never sorry to bring along parachiute zip off pants, linen tops and skirts and maybe a rayon dress or sarong for evening.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
sandi

I decided to try CoolMax panties for a trip to a hot climate. Upon receipt, I washed them along with a pair of my regular Jockey and/or Victoria Secret panties. Guess what, the Jockey/VS (regular cotton) were fully dry in the morning... not the CoolMax. Needless to say, they were repacked and returned.

I travel with cotton, linen and even silk and except for our trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar - where it is so hot and humid and everything gets wet thru and thru - I've done well with natural fibres elsewhere. Rayon is a no-no, too heavy to wear and its weight in packing. Otherwise, I'm allergic to synthetics, so it's natural all the way.

Besides, I don't travel to have to do laundry, so I bring enough of whatever so I don't have to. And I still manage to stay within weight limits on those trips where I have to.

So you'll have to decide for yourself what works best for you.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM

For hot and hot/humid places, linen getes my vote. Its light weight and easy to wash out in the room . Hang it on a hanger where the AC can blow on it ...or even hot air from the window and the item will dry quickly and wo/ wrinkles. Linen even wrinkled always passes!